|The Proving [SSS]|
|Well, looks like you get a heads up|
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Complete the quest
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
As the Watcher sets sail on the Deadfire, the Steward requests their presence. It seems someone has slipped a crate onto the ship, one marked as "beans", but which contains nothing of the sort.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- You receive the notification that the Steward wants to talk to you when you enter the world map after installing the DLC. Go down to the ship, then into the hold. The Steward will explain the situation and point you towards the box, which sits in the hold, northeastern end. Interact with it.
|Not far in you find the crate in question, its sides split by crowbars, the dry grass used as packing material spilled across the floor. Within stands an intricately crafted chest of some dark tropical wood. A polished visage peers up at you - a triumvirate of wild animal faces carved in the swirling Huana style.
The front of the chest bears an iron latch affixed to a complex iron mechanism that runs to the top four corners of the chest. You see no bolts or keyholes.
- The mysterious package is an ornately carved box. With Religion 5, you can identify the spider, stelgaer, and boar carved on it as representations of Toamowhai, the shapeshifting god of the island wilds. Mechanics 5 allows for inspecting the package for traps (there are none).
- The box will contain a severed head. The Watcher powers will let a spirit of an aumaua coalesce in the hold. Muātu will request your aid as a Watcher, at the island of Kazuwari (west of Hasongo). Konstanten will pitch in and suggest that you throw the entire box overboard, but refuse to explain in detail just why.
- Head over to Kazuwari. Before you make land at the secret waterfall, you are visited by one of Galawain's beasts, then by the god of the hunt himself. Chewing you out for trying to come to the island (and wrecking Cignath Mór if you did it), he will warn you to leave the island (which, of course, is pretty much a direct invitation for the Watcher).
- Land and make your way over to Rebūtara Pass, where you will come upon the skeleton of a gigantic beast. You may examine the scene through a series of skill checks:
- Identiy the skeleton: Survival 13
- Investigate the scene by the skeleton: Survival 10
- Examine the corpse: Religion 12
- Examine the decorations: History 10
- Loot the body: Streetwise 8 (to reveal a hidden coin purse)
- Sneak away: Stealth 18
- If successfully sneaking away, you will see a group of druids and a lot of boars coming down the road. You may avoid of appriach them. If strolling down the road, you will be accosted by the same group, led by Hateno and Scibéal. Dealing with them diplomatically is difficult, largely impossible, even if you dealt with the aumaua hermit on Maje Island and acquired the Wise Teeth Necklace or brought Konstanten along. Fighting them can be challenging, as you're fighting four druids/rangers backed up by a razorback group.
- To resolve the situation without a fight, you should realy on showing strength rather than diplomancy. Sowing them the Wise Teeth Necklace, asserting that you belong on the island as much as they do, and refer to how you healed the Green Lady of Motare o Kozi thus being recognized as a champion of nature. They'll let Toamowhai judge your worth, letting you pass. (Whether or not Konstanten's presence helps is unsure)
- After wiping them out, Konstanten will reveal that he was a part of the contests at the island and quit while he was still ahead. He will also offer to provide insight and information wherever you go. Your goal is the arena in the center, accessible either through the well at Huaba Maha Depths or the doors at Hiuahariki Depths (see Kazuwari for details).
- Entering through the well puts you inside the challenger's chamber. You will be "greeted" by the Arena Warden, who makes the logical conclusion that the group now in the challenger's champer are the challengers. Any attempts at telling him otherwise have him accusing you of ggetting cold feet, and as such your only way forward is to exit the room and enter the challenge. Such are the rewards for trying to sneak in, instead of using the front door, like normal people. Fight a Tyrant of Decay, which concludes your first challenge. When you're back in the challenger's chamber, the Warden will be somewhat flustered for not verifying that you were actually a challenger as such. You're pointed towards Humaire, in the Hall of Memories.
- If going in by way of Hiuahariki Depths, the wardens who intercept you at the entrance will greet and direct you to talk to Himuihi. However, first you need to ascend to the spectator stands at the arena and witness the slaughter in the ring. The Faces will celebrate those vanquished in the fight for their contribution, before Humaire approaches you and welcomes to the Crucible.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||The steward has informed me that the crew has discovered a piece of cargo buried deep within the hull of [Player Ship].|
|1||Open the strange package found on your ship.|
|10001||I should return to [Player Ship] to investigate this mysterious cargo.|
|2||Sail to Kazuwari in the western Deadfire Sea.|
|10002||The package contained the severed head of an aumaua named Muātu. His spirit requested my aid as a Watcher.
He wishes to accompany me to the island of Kazuwari, where some sort of spiritual crisis is unfolding. The island is located due west of Hasongo.
I can approach via a waterfall on the island's southern shore.
|3||Venture deeper into Kazuwari.|
|10003||Muātu asked that I travel to the heart of the island, where I can meet Humaire and begin to address Kazuwari's problem.|
|20001||A sizable creature jostled [Player Ship] as I approached Kazuwari. Before it disappeared north along the island's coast, Galawain, God of the Hunt, warned me away from Kazuwari.|
|20000||Upon landing, I encountered a cacophony of soul essence and experienced a vision of a great statue at the island's center. The statue was thronged with wayward spirits.|
|20003||I seem to have been mistaken for an initiate in some kind of tournament. I will either need to find another way out or head through the arena door and discover what awaits me.|
|4||Speak with Humaire.|
|10004||I've found myself in some sort of tournament, replete with spectators. I'm told that Humaire is the custodian of this place, and may be able to provide answers regarding the strange invitation. She is currently topside, watching the events.|
|14||Talk to the Steward in the hold of your ship.|
|10014||The Steward informed me that a mysterious package has somehow arrived on my ship. I should speak with her to learn more.|
|-||13||Speak with Humaire.|
|10013||After being mistaken as an initiate in some kind of competition, it seems I should speak with Humaire, the custodian of this place. She should be able to tell me more about this island and why I've been invited.|
|20002||Humaire told me to speak with her in the Hall of Memories on the west side of the temple beneath the arena.|
|40001||[After being mistaken as an initiate of some kind of competition, they told the player to speak with the Humaire if I wish to know what's going on here.]|
|30000||According to Humaire, I can help Kazuwari and cultivate my own glory by competing in the Crucible.|
|30001||I decided that the people of Kazuwari were better off dead, so I attacked them.|