The Grey Sleeper (quest)
|The Grey Sleeper [WM1]|
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Complete the quest
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
A poem is written on the blade, and the verses may hold the key to removing the curse.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
In the northeast part of Longwatch Falls, you'll find an alcove in the stone wall with an estoc sticking out of a rock. It is guarded by various spirits including a Wraith, so you'll have to fight through them first.
Activate the estoc, and a scripted interaction starts in which you can choose a party member to try to pull it out. To succeed, you need one of:
- 11 Intellect and 13 Might – insufficient Might leads to Minor Fatigue
- 16 Dexterity and 13 Might – insufficient Might leads to Minor Fatigue
- Fan of Flames
- 16 Might
Also, there's a curse on the weapon, which prevents you from unequipping it until the quest is complete. To lift the curse, you have to follow the instructions which appear in the form of a riddle on the blade. Each time you solve one verse, another appears, for a total of three times. Here's what you need to do to solve all three:
Travel to Cilant Lîs (the area where you became a Watcher at the beginning of the game), and click the interactable area on the Engwithian machine. You can also use any other Engwithian machine - for example, the one on the top of tower in Heritage Hill.
With that, the curse is lifted, and the quest ends. From now on you'll be able to unequip the The Grey Sleeper like any other weapon, though it will remain soulbound to that character.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Several players have reported that the Engwithian machines cannot be activated for the purpose of solving first verse until the completion of the White March I (machines can be clicked, but the click produces no effect). Effectively in such a situation it is impossible to upgrade The Grey Sleeper (and, therefore, remove it from the soulbound character) before the completion of the expansion.
- It's unclear, whether this is a relatively rare bug or an obscure script condition.
- After first entering the Durgan's Battery map you can return to Cilant Lis and upgrade your soulbound weapon. There was no requirement to complete the White March. (Version 3.07.0.1318)
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||The Grey Sleeper|
|10000||I found an estoc in a mysterious stone pedestal near Longwatch Falls. Upon removing it, I realized that the weapon is cursed and soulbound - it tethers itself to the wielder.
There's a poem written on the blade. It begins:
"'Tis a traitor's fate to sleep and never rest
The other verses may hold the key to removing the curse.
|1||Find a "whirling agent of copper, adra, and stone."|
|10001||A new verse appeared after the blade was drawn. It reads:
"Seek the whirling agent made of copper, adra, stone
I think this is the first step in removing the curse.
|2||Rest among the "hillocks where the dead folk sleep" mentioned in the next verse.|
|10002||The Engwithan machine strengthened the weapon and revealed another verse on the blade:
"Find the sun-kissed hillocks where the dead folk sleep.
This must be another clue.
|3||Reach the "pillars" mentioned in the last verse.|
|10003||I traveled to a graveyard as mentioned in the previous verse, and Grey Sleeper grew more powerful still.
While I was there, another verse appeared on the blade:
"Fingers of the world, adra strong and whole
Perhaps this will break the curse.
|Unbound the Weapon|
|30000||I removed the curse from the Grey Sleeper.|
|30001||Someone critically important to this quest has died.|