The Courier's Calling
|The Courier's Calling|
|File:PE2 The Courier's Calling.png|
Neketaka - The Brass Citadel
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Complete the quest
Atsura has given Maia a task to carry out while she's in my service - delivering missives to Rauataian operatives around the Deadfire. Maia assures me that the missives are nothing more than bureaucratic paperwork.
- To deliver the messages, you need to head to two locations: Port Maje and Tikawara. WARNING: Depending on how you handle this quest, it can potentially lead to bad endings for the two towns.
- In Tikawara, seek out Harama. He's at the center of a mob (or bugged and leaning against a hut). If you want to break this part of the assignment, don't intervene. Otherwise, either attack or talk them down - use Insight 3 when they mentioned coded papers and then either Intimidate 4, a Deadfire aumaua origin, or a Huana reputation of at least level 3. Talk to him, then Maia.
- By letting the mob attack Harama, he may be killed in the fight, causing the missive to remain undelivered. This will lead to a different outcome for Tikawara in the game's ending slides.
- In Port Maje, look for Tuaha, near The Kraken's Eye. She will not accept the missive until you either deal with the stalker or convince her to take it without dealing with the stalker.
- To find the stalker, talk to a Kuaru Craftsman walking across the map. One of them will be the stalker and you can identify him with Insight 3 by studying him carefully. The stalker turns out to be a spy assigned to watch for Tuaha's contact, which is Maia. You can then attack him, tell him to back away, or use Intimidate 3 to force him to stay away. Then you can use Intimidate 3 / Bluff 2 or Bluff 3 / Insight 2 to make him listen. Then you can follow up with a Deadfire reply, Intimidate 3, telling him to improve his routine, or just killing him, as you can do at any other stage.
- To get Tuaha to accept the missive without dealing with the stalker, you must pass a Diplomacy 4 or History 3 check, accessible by telling her to "Just take your missive and go," then say "I don't care" afterwards. Convincing her to receive the missive without dealing with the stalker/spy changes the ultimate fate of Port Maje in the ending slides.
- Maia will then ask you to report to the Brass Citadel and speak to Secretary Atsura. Do so. Once you arrive at the lower command, she will excuse herself for a couple of days, to follow through on the mission assigned to her by secretary Atsura. Once she returns, she will want to discuss the matter with you and reveal that Atsura ordered her to assassinate a charismatic ranga of a minor Huana tribe, one who supported unity and tolerance among the people. Maia, being the dutiful soldier she is, went through with the orders, and killed him once he was on an isolated beach. The tribe seethed, mourned, but continued his legacy - while Maia was left rattled by the murder of a civilian - murdered as ordered by the highest authorities of the RDC.
- She will ask that you report to Atsura at the end of the quest. Your reward is Three Bells Through, a unique arquebus. Speak to Maia to round off the quest.
If you successfully neutralized Tuaha's stalker and broke up the angry mob for Harama, you will later find out that the missives were indeed assassination orders. The ending slides will reveal that Governor Clario and Storm Speaker Ikawha from Port Maje and Ranga Ruānu from Tikawara were all assassinated, leading to devastating bad ends for the two towns.
If you assisted the towns previously and prefer a more desirable outcome for the two islands, it is advisable to insist Tuaha to accept the missive without dealing with the stalker in Port Maje and allow the mob to dispose of Harama in Tikawara to ensure the assassination orders are not carried out.
|0||The Courier's Calling|
|10000||Atsura has given Maia a task to carry out while she's in my service - delivering missives to Rauataian operatives around the Deadfire. Maia assures me that the missives are nothing more than bureaucratic paperwork.|
|1||Deliver a missive to Harama.|
|10001||Maia is carrying a missive bound for Harama, a Rauataian sailor and an old friend of hers.|
|20000||Harama can be found in Tikawara.|
|20001||Harama has received his missive.|
|20002||Harama died before he could receive his missive.|
|2||Deliver a missive to Tuaha.|
|10002||Maia has a stack of missives intended for her eccentric Rauataian colleague, Tuaha.|
|20003||Tuaha can be found at Port Maje.|
|20008||Tuaha suspects that she's being followed, and won't accept Maia's missive until her stalker is dealt with. She described him as an average-looking Huana male.|
|20012||I took the stalker's notes. This should be of interest to Tuaha.|
|20010||I killed Tuaha's stalker.|
|20004||I convinced Tuaha's stalker to leave Port Maje and never return.|
|20009||I talked Tuaha into accepting her missive even though it may place her in danger.|
|20011||With her stalker situation handled, I was able to deliver the missive to Tuaha.|
|4||Bring Maia to the Brass Citadel.|
|10004||Maia needs to return to the Brass Citadel in Neketaka.|
|20006||Maia left the party to deliver a missive on her own. She assures me that she'll be back in a few days.|
|7||Speak with Maia upon her return|
|10007||Maia returned from the mission that dispatched her to parts unknown. She seems eager to talk about her experience.|
|20007||Maia killed a man and clearly has a lot on her mind. If I give her some time to ponder she may want to speak at further length.|
|8||Report in to Atsura.|
|10008||Now that Maia's target is eliminated, Atsura will want a report of our progress.|
|30000||Someone critical to the completion of this quest has been killed.|
|30001||I delivered the missives to both Harama and Tuaha. Atsura rewarded Maia with a powerful rifle.|
|30002||I saved Harama and gave him Atsura's missive. Against her misgivings, I compelled Tuaha to accept her missive as well.|
|30003||Harama was killed during his encounter with the mob. I saved Tuaha from her stalker and delivered her missive successfully.|
|30004||Harama was killed during his encounter with the mob. Against her misgivings, I compelled Tuaha to accept her missive.|