The Cornett's Call
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Dereo the Lean, a crime lord in the Gullet, seeks a valuable artifact known as the Cornett of Waves. However, it's only a part of a bigger effort to find one of Neketaka's long-lost treasures.
Overview[edit | edit source]
- Talk to Dereo the Lean in the Narrows to begin the quest.
- Acquire the Cornett of Waves from Takano's estate in Serpent's Crown, either by stealing it, paying for it, or with a series of other checks.
- Return to Dereo, and deal with Ateira and her gang on the way over.
- Head to the Old City, either:
- Optionally: Dive down into the pool in the center of the Old City Overlook (area with the lift) to retrieve the Cornett of Depths.
- Open the Temple of Ondra (located in the northwestern section of the Old City proper) using the shell, kill or avoid the giant cave grub inside. If you have both shells, you can access the hidden room.
- Inspect the mosaic on the rear wall of the temple, then return to Dereo to complete the quest.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Cornett of Waves[edit | edit source]
- Upon meeting Dereo, you will be asked for a favor: retrieve the Cornett of Waves from Takano at his estate. While talking to him, you can notice him wanting the artifact badly with Perception 16 and can pursue the matter with Insight 6 - though he will not reveal any more.
- If you have already obtained it, you can also show him the Cornett of Depths to trigger the next phase of the quest. Otherwise, acquiring the Cornett of Waves is simple enough.
- If you already have the Cornett of Depths and you inspected the mosaic before talking to Dereo, you can immediately complete the quest without getting the other shell, but you will miss out on some loot and experience. Dereo will compliment the Watcher on their wondrous abilities.
- Head to Takano's estate in Serpent's Crown.
- Moon godlike - Simply ask Takano for it and he will give it to you with no fuss.
- Steal the cornett yourself - It is found in a locked chest (difficulty 5) at the end of Takano's estate, next to the staircase. The key can be found in the wardrobe upstairs. Time the theft with the movement of the guard in this area.
- Play on Takano's materialism - Takano will decline an offer to pay him directly for the shell, saying that he already has everything that he could want. Reading his soul reveals otherwise, and allows you to suggest that he could use the money to spruce the manor up, perhaps add a new window. This will set you back 2,500, or 2,150 with Bluff 3, suggesting that Takano's neighbors boast of bigger houses, and that he should out-do them.
- Convince Takano that the cornett deserves a better keeper
- Ask "Why is the Cornett of Waves so special?" to discover a bit of the cornett's history, imparting a bit of your own knowledge upon Takano (with an optional, History 1 + Island aumaua + Deadfire Archipelago, Arcana 5 or Religion 5 check).
- Then tell him "The Cornett of Waves is no mere trophy. It deserves a keeper who knows its history.".
- Finally, warn him that "Ondra punishes those who refuse to let go" with Religion 3, otherwise Takano will be reluctant to part with it and you'll have to pay 750.
- Bluff 5 - Lie to Takano
- Threaten Takano's life - Requires at least Intimidate 6 to avoid combat, resulting in Moderate Negative reputation with the Huana. Otherwise the other options will start combat with everyone in the estate.
- Hire an assassin - Rust, an assassin in Delver's Row can fetch the artifact for you. He'll ask for 800, or 1,000 if you want to keep Takano alive and a day for him to do the deed. You can use the wait function to skip the time. Curiously, even if you only pay 800 for his services, Takano will still be alive and well at his estate after you fetch the cornett from Rust, and a second Cornett of Waves will still exist in the Takano estate chest. This is probably a bug.
- Cornett of Depths - Show Takano that you have a special shell too - This won't get you anywhere, Aloth and Tekēhu will react to this: Pride.
- Return to Dereo.
- If you have the Cornett of Waves in your stash while travelling to or from Serpent's Crown, there's a chance you'll encounter Ateira, and her group of thugs. Ateira is the one Dereo originally hired to retrieve the cornett. She'll want the Cornett of Waves, and will be adamant to fight for it. There's no option to give her the shell without a fight, but you can convince her otherwise with one of the following:
- Diplomacy 4, Diplomacy 6, then Bluff 3 or reputation Rational 2 - The cornett is just a worthless shell, and Dereo is just using it to frame someone. Picking any of the other checks will cause her to attack.
- Intimidate 4, then Intimidate 6 - The thugs will make easy pickings. Note that this fails if you have Benevolent 4, with one the thugs calling you "The softest in Deadfire" (one of the few times conflicting reputation stats end up hurting you).
- Bluff 4, then Bluff 6 - Dereo sent you to tie up some loose ends.
- Or you could just attack her, and get Minor Positive Reputation with Delver's Row Criminals.
- Returning to Dereo with the Cornett of Waves will gain you Minor Positive reputation with Delver's Row Criminals, and 300. If you encountered Ateira, you can tell him about it to gain further Minor reputation. At this point you can also push him further about his true motives regarding the cornett with Intellect 12, but to no avail. You're then instructed to take it to the Undercroft below Delver's Row.
Cornett of Depths (optional)[edit | edit source]
- If you wish to access the hidden room in Ondra temple, make sure to detour by the Old City Overlook and grab the Cornett of Depths from the sunken statue near the center of the area.
- With Perception 13, you can hear the calls of the cornett from the pool.
- With Survival 6, you'll notice the suspicious bones clustered around the water's edge.
- This scripted interaction requires a character with at least Constitution 16 to retrieve the conch unharmed - otherwise the character will become Fatigued.
- After obtaining the conch, you'll be attacked by a bunch of skeletons.
Old City Ruins[edit | edit source]
- Find Gwenfin in the Undercroft near the entrance to the ancient Huana temple in the northern part, overlooking the bay. With Athletics 4 you can safely take the skiff shortcut on the main dock. Enter the chamber and inspect the statue. Place the cornett in the statue's hand to open the door. The Temple of Ondra isn't where it should be, so guess who's going to look for it inside? Head deeper into the Old City, north through the ruins. The temple you want is in the northwestern corner of the Old City proper. Note that while Gwenfin says she is a bruiser, her health is low and she will not fight back if enemies are lured to her so low level parties cannot count on using her for aid. She will die quite rapidly but it does not result in quest failure.
- Either the Cornett of Waves or the Cornett of Depths can open the way to the temple, which is guarded by a giant cave grub. Killing it is a major challenge, but you can always sneak by and accomplish your objective.
- The giant grub is tough, with lots of health, and has strong but very slow attacks. It also summons other grubs to assist it. The trick to killing it is having a cipher cast Tenuous Grasp on it. The giant grub will be charmed, and start killing the other grubs it summoned, reducing your burden. Similarly, the cipher spell Pain Block can help healing your frontline during the long fight.
- If you take out the Grub Burrow in the Northernmost corner either before or shortly after the fight begins no grubs will spawn and you only have to deal with the giant grub.
- If you obtained both conchs, place them inside the mural to open the secret wall. This leads to a hidden room containing the unique large shield Cadhu Scalth in the locked and trapped sarcophagus (difficulty 7) on the left, and the unique pollaxe Wahai Pōraga in the sarcophagus on the right.
- To complete the quest, inspect the Ukaizo mosaic at the back of the temple. Sneak around the giant cave grub if you didn't kill it.
- Return to Gwenfin and then to Dereo to collect your rewards.
Collect your rewards[edit | edit source]
- While talking to Dereo, you can use Bluff 6 or History 7 to find out that Ukaizo is sought by the Consuaglo mes Casitas of the Príncipi as a way to provide for themselves, as one of the richest and most fertile lands in the Deadfire. Dereo will dodge the question if you ask with Insight 4. Uncovering this information allows you to ask for 500 hush money.
- Dereo will then reward you with the unique blunderbuss Kitchen Stove. You can push him further and ask for a bonus:
- Before leaving, he'll give you Príncipi Colors - presumably handmade by Dereo himself over the course of the quest.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||The Cornett's Call|
|10000||Dereo the Lean, a crime lord in the Gullet, seeks a valuable artifact known as the Cornett of Waves.|
|40001||Dereo is looking for a mosaic in the Old City. The cornett will lead me to it.|
|40002||A person of influence has taken an interest in me. I've been asked to meet him in the Narrows.|
|1||Get the Cornett of Waves from Takano's villa in Serpent's Crown.|
|10001||Dereo asked me to get an artifact called the Cornett of Waves from the Mataru, Takano, who owns it.|
|20000||Dereo wants the cornett more badly than he lets on. He said it's valuable, but he didn't elaborate.|
|20010||I'm not the first to attempt this job. Dereo originally hired someone else, but she didn't come through.|
|20008||Dereo said a related artifact, the Cornett of Depths, was lost when the Old City sank.|
|20006||I've hired Rust to acquire the Cornett of Waves for me. The assassin will need a full day to get the job done.|
|20013||According to Takano, a similar conch was lost when the Old City sank. Several Ondrites perished alongside it, doomed never to rise unless the shell did.|
|20016||Takano isn't especially attached to the Cornett of Waves, and he's short on coin. Perhaps he'd be willing to sell it.|
|2||Meet Gwenfin in the Undercroft.|
|10002||Gwenfin waits for me - and the cornett - in the Undercroft, near an ancient, Huana-style door.
Dereo told me to reach her via a lift in Delver's Row, which is separate from the Gullet.
|20015||Specifically, the lift is next to Ernezzo's shop in Delver's Row.|
|20005||Gwenfin is outside an ancient Huana ruin in the Undercroft, near the fort there.|
|20007||Gwenfin thinks I can use the cornett to open a door by the Ondrite statue.|
|20017||I've killed Gwenfin. It's up to me to figure out how to use the cornett and get what Dereo wants.|
|3||Find a temple of Ondra in the Old City.|
|10003||Apparently, the mosaic Dereo's looking for is in an old temple somewhere in the ruins.
Gwenfin asked me to tell her where it is once I find it.
|20002||There's a mural in the Old City ruins depicting two conch shells.|
|20003||I found a conch inscribed with Ondrite symbols in the Old City.|
|4||Report back to Gwenfin at the entrance to the Undercroft.|
|10004||I found the temple of Ondra and saw an elaborate mosaic of a place called Ukaizo embedded in the wall. This must be what Dereo was looking for.
Gwenfin waits to hear from me at the passage between the Undercroft and the Old City.
|20012||In the temple, I found a wall carving with two sockets. Each was the right size and shape to fit the cornett.|
|5||Return to Dereo in the Narrows.|
|10005||Gwenfin is on her way to secure the temple. She asked me to give Dereo the good news.|
|6||Meet a mysterious figure in the Narrows of the Gullet.|
|10006||A messenger told me that someone important wants to see me.
I was told to head into the Narrows, turn right, turn right again, and go left at the bend, looking for signs of svef use. If I meet resistance, I can say Dereo sent for me.
|7||Return the cornett to Dereo in the Narrows.|
|10007||I acquired a conch instrument carved with symbols of Ondra - this seems like the "cornett" Dereo wants.
He's waiting for it in the Narrows, the tunnels that surround the Gullet.
|20011||Ateira, the mercenary Dereo originally hired, ambushed me on the way back from Takano's.|
|8||Return to Dereo in the Narrows.|
|10008||I found the temple of Ondra and saw an elaborate mosaic of a place called Ukaizo embedded in the wall. This must be what Dereo was looking for.
He promised a reward once I find it.
|20014||In the temple, I found a wall carving with two sockets. Each was the right size and shape to fit the cornett.|
|9||Find the mosaic Dereo seeks in the Old City.|
|10009||Dereo wants me to find a mosaic in the Old City. Now that Gwenfin's gone, I'll have to hope I know it when I see it.|
|30000||Dereo was pleased when I told him about the mosaic of Ukaizo. He warned me to keep my findings a secret.|
|30001||Someone critical to this quest has died.|