Talk:Official Pillars of Eternity Wiki
Maybe we should expand our news section and provide a little summary for each entry? for example http://www.obsidian.net/ news section always contains a minimalistic summary - Just a thought. --AnotherArk (talk) 15:57, 16 May 2014 (UTC)
Royal titles?[edit source]
Is there a page that lists and explains royal titles such as duc and erl? --Questioner 16:21, 16 January 2015 (UTC)
- No, there is no such page and there is not much informations about the nobility in Eora. But each language page haas a glossary with the important words and there the known royal titles are listed:
- Ferscönyng - first king, human emperor of the Aedyr Empire.
- Héamecwyn/mecwyn - illustrious queen, elven queen of the Aedyr Empire married with the ferscönyng.
- Duc – elected ruler of the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood.
- Gréf palatine – ruler of a palatinate in the Aedyre Empire, helds the authority and legal power over the erls, their holdings, and their titles in his palatinate.
- Gréf – ruler of a gréfram in the Aedyr Empire, has no direct power over the erls.
- Erl – ruler of an erldom in the Aedyr Empire and Free Palatinate of Dyrwood.
- Thayn – nobility title in the Aedyr Empire, that serve under an erl.
- ducs bels – great doges(dukes), leader of a grand republic in the vailian republics.
- duc – leader of city a in the vailian republics.
- Anamfath, plural anamfatha – soul prince,the spiritual leaders of the tribes.
- Enfath – princess
- Fath, plural Fatha – prince(s)
- Galven – leader of all tribes.
- Raoithe – wise ones
Is there a simple tutorial page that points out the obvious stuff anywhere? Something that specifies, for example, what the name is of the ... history... list... thing is in the lower right corner of the screen during gameplay ("Boar hits Derp for 20 Slash damage")? And How to have it hide/minimize when not in combat, but then have it auto expand when in combat? Also- This wiki does not have a section for key bindings, shortcuts or hot key stuff. Nor does it have a location where questions like this can easily be asked.
- A wiki is not a place where you ask questions, it is an evolving reference tool which is created and maintained by contributors such as yourself which people can consult. I made a default key bindings page, but I only installed the game this morning, so until then, I had no idea. Feel free to add the information you know about. That's how wikis work. — Game widow (talk) 14:40, 28 March 2015 (UTC)
Will the wiki available in several languages like in other gamepedias as Terraria?
- In order for a wiki to be available in another language, someone must actually translate it. So which language were you interested in, and are you volunteering to begin translating the information here to that language ? — Game widow (talk) 12:49, 28 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ideally, this process should involve the guys, who participated in localization, since they have all the "canon" glossaries and other stuff required to facilitate the process. However, this can be reverse-engineered through multiple playthroughs. I can help with Russian as soon as I finish playthrough in English and start another one in Russian. — archdron (talk) 15:30, 22 April 2015 (UTC)
Main Page Locked[edit source]
Why did the gamepedia admin lock the main page? There is new information that could be added to the main page (thanks to an expansion coming out soon), but we can't alter it at all. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by GeeseHoward (talk • contribs) at 19:36, 30 June 2015 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- The main page was locked to prevent vandalism since it's such a high traffic page. If there's specific information you'd like added, post it here and I will update the main page. --Alianin T • C 15:29, 4 July 2015 (UTC)
- Yeah but you also seem to have locked all teh other pages in the wiki while doing that. The Zahua and Devil of Caroc pages still have the old playing card portraits because no one can update them. And their discussion pages also seem to be locked. --22.214.171.124 10:26, 11 August 2015 (UTC)
Ability Infobox[edit source]
The "Effect" field is broken and displays some wiki pseudocode. Does anyone know how to fix it? --Preceding unsigned comment added by Gairnulf, 22:38, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
Additions needed to GamePlay[edit source]
Could we please add the following items under Game Mechanics, so descriptions can be added for them:
- Scripted interactions
- These were added. --Alianin T • C 16:20, 22 November 2015 (UTC)
It would be great to have some sort of comprehensive map of locations, perhaps structured as 2 or 3 levels of detail (Dyrwood > Twin Elms > Hearthsong). At the moment, what we have is partial descriptions in various locations, e.g.:
Is anyone willing to propose a structure?
Even better would be to have an interactive map. Any chance of getting an image of the populated world map from the development team (since it's pretty hard see a full view in the game)?
UI and Controls[edit source]
We need something on the main page that links to somewhere the UI can be described, i.e., the screen layout, and the controls. There is already a preliminary Controls page that's not linked in - not sure about the rest. --Tungsticgp (talk) 20:57, 25 December 2015 (UTC)
"Official" Pillars of Eternity Wiki in window title[edit source]
I don't get it, I thought this was not an official wiki, in which case it's at best misleading. 126.96.36.199 14:20, 5 March 2016 (UTC)
- What does "official wiki" mean to you? This wiki is the wiki for Pillars of Eternity.
- It has been endorsed by the game's developers.
- It even used to be linked from the game's website (though at some point the website got a redesign and the wiki link was no longer included).
- If you go to the Pillars of Eternity forums and talk about "the wiki", everyone will know that you mean this wiki right here.
- I'd say that makes it as official as a game wiki can be... :)
- --Ineth2 (talk) 18:53, 5 March 2016 (UTC)
Page layout – Step I[edit source]
I have added the game's Twitter to the news section. The official PoE2 news forum doesn't feed the feed, yet, so those news are all old. Don't know if that will be changed somewhen.
I've thought of switching some items on the main page, not only to integrate the Twitter more aesthetically…
- The "Welcome" to the top center
- The "Screenshot" below
- The "Expansions" bottom centered
- The "News" to the right – though then adjustments are needed according to the column width of 300px and the longer feed lines, perhaps.
I won't do this without discussion. So, add comments! :o)
And – as the section title says – these will probably only be first steps… -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 19:36, 29 January 2017 (UTC)
- I wrote about it somewhere, but I've been thinking about a re-design of the frontpage. For now I just added a central logo above the sections. More long-term, in light of the wiki becoming multi-game, I think a Tabber setup could look good. That would enable users to flip between Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, while we can squeeze in many links for each game, using sub-headers, without totally cluttering the frontpage with links. I see some other wikis use it, and think it could be a good fit for us.
- Otherwise, you (pl.) may have noticed that I've changed a few things around the place, including a brand new dark-themed skin, and a new mobile skin. Pangaearocks (talk) 22:51, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
Some people may choose DRM-free version of the game. Please add GOG version as well... Wakeup12, 09:20, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
- I was actually looking at that a few days ago, but didn't find suitable non-intrusive icons for all shops, so postponed it in favour of working on other things. I'd like to overhaul the frontpage at a later date anyway. Not sure we should have links to stores like that anyhow, at least not as dominating as that. But if we do, GOG should definitely be there too, as the DRM Free (and hence best ;-)) option. Pangaearocks (talk) 22:01, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
- The link to the Humble Store came, AFAIK, from the official website's buying option, which now was switched to Paradox Interactive. We could adapt this, but the Humble Store page has a link back to us, which I think should be regarded with some respect. -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 16:22, 2 November 2017 (UTC)
- I agree with that. It doesn't look good to have such big attention seekers on the main page, and very few wikis have that. I was thinking we could add some store links in the infobox for each game, including the expansions. The wiki should mainly be for information purposes, not as a marketing tool. Besides, people going to the wiki of a game, will probably have purchased the game already, so it doesn't make much sense to have store links as kind-of the central feature of the main page. Which is why I removed it in the editcopy. —Pangaearocks (talk) 17:56, 11 November 2017 (UTC)
- Agreed with removing that. Problem is: if we start listing one shop (where "start" actually is the wrong term, we did it for two years now), wouldn't we have to list them all? If we put GOG, Steam and Humble in the infobox, we have to take EA's Origin, too. And of course Paradox, who are directly linked to OE. Can you buy the game at Amazon? Should they miss, then? How long shall this list become? And an example from another wiki: we once had not only links but even buying prices on the Vault, but those are all gone – from the infoboxes, from the articles. So this might be the best for Pillars, too. If needed, though, I'd go – as "Official Wiki" – the official way and link to OE's buying options. -- -- You talkin' to me? -- cCContributions -- 12:58, 12 November 2017 (UTC)
- Yeah, I think it might be better to just remove it. Seems like most wikis don't have buy links, and it quickly gets messy with various shops and not least game editions. If we include it, it should just be 3-4 places, and preferably not the vile Origin. The game is available... a few places. —Pangaearocks (talk) 14:16, 12 November 2017 (UTC)