Stronghold random events (Pillars of Eternity)
After securing the Caed Nua stronghold, there is a chance for unexpected events to take place at the stronghold. The events are partially dictated by the Prestige and Security of the house, its purchased upgrades, and hirelings in the player's employ. When a random event occurs, you will be told regardless of whether or not you are physically there. Sometimes, you will need to deal with the event immediately, but usually you are given some time to decide what to do.
Visitors[edit | edit source]
The most common event at your stronghold is having a visitor arrive. There are all kinds of visitors, but they all share one thing. They can adjust your prestige and/or security just by being at your stronghold.
- Some visitors give good bonuses and some of these visitors can even be employed as hirelings and will stay on as long as you pay them.
- Others are not so great, and you can pay them to leave, or get one of your unassigned companions to act as an escort to their next location (making the companion unavailable for a time).
- Some visitors will offer rare items for sale, and some might even offer a very rare item in exchange for one of the prisoners in your dungeon. Items acquired this way can be found in the treasure chest in the Main Keep.
If Visitors die during their stay, the stronghold suffers a Prestige penalty for a while.
|Gafol the Drunkard||-2||
Any resolution will yield 200xp. Choose from the following:
|Nyry the Deft Hand||-1 -3||
|Solmar the Shackler||
|Odeyna Fyrgest|| +5
|Geyda||none||Any resolution will yield 200xp. Choose from the following:
(Regardless of where you send Geyda, if she's found dead, your Stronghold Log will say she was found in Heritage Hill.)
|Rare Item Merchants|
|Supplicant (Gilded Vale)||
Adventures[edit | edit source]
After the Great Hall is restored, an adventure becomes available though the stronghold management interface on every turn with a number divisible by 8. Unlike quests, you cannot resolve these yourself - you must assign one of your idle companions to complete the adventure, making them unavailable for the specified number of turns.
If you don't assign anyone to it, the adventure disappears after a limited time. Once you've assigned a companion to it, recalling them prematurely cancels the adventure and forfeits any rewards that would have been earned. If the adventure is completed, money and item rewards from the adventure are placed in the treasury chest of the Great Hall, and the companion who was assigned gets additional XP (not shared with the party).
The adventures you can get are:
|Adventure||Unique item||Additional rewards|
| Minor (1 turn)|
2d50+Prestige > 25
|A Court of Spirits||Belt of Chimes||15% XP, 150-300|
|A Forgotten Hollow||Wyrwood Ring||15% XP|
|Black Waters, Broken Tombs||ycg Br Tomb Fragment||15% XP|
|Clerical Errors||St. Borragia's Tears||15% XP, 150-350|
|Sacred Skin||Greenstained Boots||15% XP, minor item|
|The Ivory Horn||The Nautilus of Or-Grammon||15% XP, 150-300|
|The Night Mirror||Night Mirror Fragment||15% XP|
|The Sky Breaker||Rod of Wind and Thunder||15% XP, minor item|
|Witch's Walk||The Witch's Hat||15% XP|
|Minor Adventure||-||one of: 5% XP, minor item, 150-300 , minor reputation bonus|
| Average (2 turns)|
2d50+Prestige > 50
|A Wreath of Ashes||Remembrance Ashes||15% XP, minor item, 150-300|
|Bound and Buried||Binding Rope||15% XP, minor item, 150-300|
|Skulls for Mother||Father's Teeth||15% XP, 150-300|
|Still as Stones||Mossy Rock × 5||15% XP, minor item, 150-300|
|The Mourning Circle||Mourning Gloves||15% XP, 150-300|
|The Page Unturned||The Blind Monk's Venom||15% XP, minor item|
|The Weaver's Song||Cloak of Comfort||15% XP, 2 minor items, 150-300|
|To the Waterline||Iverra's Diving Helmet||15% XP, 150-300|
|Average Adventure||-||two of: 10% XP, average item, 150-300 , average reputation bonus|
| Major (3 turns)|
2d50+Prestige > 75
|A Curse of Cold Clay||Remembrance of Life's Warmth||25% XP, average item, 500-1000|
|A Whistling in the Reeds||Red Reed Wand||25% XP, average item, 500-1000|
|Ring Finger||Nîdhen's Finger||25% XP, 500-1000|
|St. Ifen's Knot||Ifen's Cradle||25% XP, minor item, 500-1000|
|The Celebrant's Dirge||Celebrant's Gloves||25% XP, average item, 500-1000|
|The Unworn Path||Patchwork Boots||25% XP, average item|
|What the Well Holds||Swaddling Sheet||25% XP, 300-750|
|Major Adventure||-||two of: 15% XP, average item, 500-1000 , average reputation bonus|
| Grand (4 turns)|
2d50+Prestige > 100
|A Place of Great Silence||The Looking-Inward Chime||35% XP, major item, 750-2000|
|Lavender and Lye||Lavender Wreath||35% XP, major item, 1-2 average items|
|Lovers' Light|| Copper Lover's Ring,
Silver Lover's Ring
|The Crossed Eye||Crossed Patch||35% XP, major item, average item, 750-2000|
|The Wax Maker||The Helwax Mold||35% XP, major item, 750-2000|
|They Who Woke the Stars||Constellated Cloak||35% XP, major item|
|Grand Adventure||-||two of: 20% XP, major item, 2 average items, 750-2000 , major reputation bonus|
| Legendary (5 turns)|
2d50+Prestige > 125
|A Solitary Mark||Marked Amulet||50% XP, grand item, major item, 1000-3000|
|At the Edge of All Known Things||Amaia's Codex||50% XP, grand item, major item, 1000-3000|
|Liminal Spaces||Ethereal Helm||50% XP, grand item, 1-2 major items, 1000-3000|
|The Coal Eater||Blighted Coals||50% XP, grand item, major item, 1000-3000|
|The Glass Tree||Glittering Gauntlets||50% XP, grand item, major item, 1000-3000|
|Legendary Adventure||-||three of: 25% XP, grand item, 2 major items, 3 average items, 1000-3000 , grand reputation bonus|
Which adventures you get is determined as follows:
- Each turn, the game rolls for an event.
- If that event is Adventure (and you don't already have an active adventure), then the game rolls two random numbers between between 1 and 50, adds them to the stronghold's current Prestige number, and uses this sum to determine the adventure category:
2d50 + prestige Adventure category 1-25 Tough luck, no adventure! 26-50 Minor 51-75 Average 76-100 Major 101-125 Grand 126+ Legendary
- From the selected category, a random adventure is picked that hasn't been picked already. (You need to exhaust all unique adventures in one category to get a generic adventure.)
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Attacks are the most potentially dangerous of all stronghold events. Attack losses and frequency decrease with higher security. The threat of attacks is the most important reason to keep your security level as high as you can afford.
You will be warned ahead of time of any such attack, and are presented with three choices:
- Manual Resolve: Your party and hirelings battle the invaders. If you are not at your stronghold, you must return before you can select this option. This option usually results in the best outcome, although some of your hirelings may be killed.
- Auto-Resolve: Your hirelings battle the invaders without you. This usually results in the destruction of parts of your stronghold, which you will then have to rebuild, expending time and money. In the meantime, you lose their benefits.
- You can ignore the warning. If you continue to ignore it until the time runs out, an auto-resolve will happen.
|Xaurips and Wurms|
|Trolls and Oozes|
|Leaden Key Agents|
|Shades and Forest Lurkers|
|Raedric's Undead Army|
|Cean Gŵla and Spectres|