Serafen is a male orlan cipher and barbarian, and a recruitable companion in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
A proud member of the Príncipi sen Patrena and one of the most accomplished shiphunters in the Deadfire Archipelago. He's short, wild, and absolutely foulmouthed. He's also one of the more moderate Principi members, once you get past all that fur and swearing: He believes in a third option for the Principi to take, between total anarchy represented by Aeldys and elitist tyranny championed by Captain Furrante.
His life before joining the Principi as a free man was a stretch of abuse, primarily at the hands of Captain Malnaj. She ruthlessly exploited his talents as a shiphunter, shaking him down after each raid to ensure he couldn't square anything away. Serafen isn't sure what made her hate him so much - it wasn't love, though he speculated that trying to get him killed twice within the first fortnight was a sure sign of deep love. However, when he proposed her, she stabbed him in the throat as a warning.
When the Watcher encounters him, Serafen is working for Captain Furrente onboard the Gentleman of Leisure. It was two honors and a half to be chosen for serving on the finest Principi ship under the most respected shipmaster, but it also meant he had to leave the Sorcerer and the only family he had ever known.
- Serafen is added to the party after launching the Defiant. You are intercepted by the Gentleman of Leisure, Captain Furrante's ship, and can accept the cipher into your service together with a quest to take down Captain Benweth.
- Reaching the first level of camaraderie with Serafen will result in him offering you a gift of the Cipher's Shackle, which he hid from Malnaj by stowing it where the sun didn't shine (his beard).
- Serafen likes:
- Skullduggery: Appreciates people who use lies, deception, and general chicanery to get their way.
- Lighthearted: Appreciates jokes and levity in life, even in the darkest of circumstances.
- Impassioned: He is a passionate person and responds well to people with similarly strong emotions.
- Worldly: Appreciates a cosmopolitan lifestyle and outlook on life.
- Serafen dislikes:
- Anti-Principi: Supports the pirates of the Príncipi sen Patrena and dislikes those who act against them.
- Racism: Takes a dim view of racist comments and attitudes.
- He is voiced by actor Liam O'Brien