Salt in the Wound
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Nera is annoyed that her younger brother, Larro, missed an appointment. He is likely somewhere in Queen's Berth. Nera wants him found and returned to the Bardatto estate as soon as possible.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Larro is found under the waterfall, engaged in a duel with Orso Valera. As this falls squarely under the category of what Nera would call "trouble", you should intervene. The quest is the first of several revealing the feud between the families. You have three options:
- Allow the duel to continue, resulting in the death of one of two participants. You can bet ten copper on one of the participants (this does cost a minor negative reputation, though). Without your intervention, the victor is randomly determined.
- Break up the duel and chase the children away with Resolve 16, Might 18, or Bluff 5. You can also ask if this is worth dying over and then threaten them with Bluff 3 that you'll suck their souls into the beyond.
- Propose an alternative with Diplomacy 3. Fighting to the first blood satisfies all parties.
- In the case the confrontation results in a fight, you enter a scripted interaction. You can simply watch the duel to its end (blessing one of the participants if you're playing a priest), find a better vantage point with Streetwise, or study the opponents with Insight. Once they clash, you can distract one of the opponents or both (distracting one relies on Insight) to increase their chances of success for a minor negative rep with the VTC. Once a combatant is disarmed, you can continue to watch or force them to stop before they kill one another (Wizard/Paladin/Priest) or with Resolve 4 (a distracting cheer also works). Not intervening will result in one of them dying.
- Go back to the Bardatto Estate and talk to both Nera Bardatto (800) and Ezzali Bardatto (1,000) to claim get your reward(s).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Scripted interaction graphics
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||Salt in the Wound|
|10000||Nera Bardatto is worried that her younger brother, Larro, might be getting himself into trouble.|
|40001||Two young men of the Bardatto and Valera families appear to have chosen the waterfall above Queen's Berth's adra mill as the site for a duel.|
|1||Find Larro Bardatto.|
|10001||Nera told me that her younger brother, Larro, missed an appointment. He is likely somewhere in Queen's Berth. Nera wants him found and returned to the Bardatto estate as soon as possible.|
|20000||Nera mentioned that Larro and his friends often carouse at the tavern, the southwestern bridge, and behind the district's waterfall.|
|2||Confront the duelists.|
|10002||I have come upon a duel between two young men from the Bardatto and Valera families. They don't seem to appreciate the interruption. If I intervened, I wager I could see this through to an interesting end.|
|3||Settle the conflict.|
|10003||I found Larro engaged in a duel with Orso Valera. This falls squarely under the category of what Nera would call "trouble." I could find a way to break up the scene, or at least get the fight over with.|
|30000||Someone critical to the completion of this quest has been killed|
|30001||The duel has ended with Larro Bardatto as the victor. He doesn't seem all that pleased with the victory, but he suggested I speak with his mother, Ezzali Bardatto, if I'm keen on work.|
|30002||The duel has ended with Orso Valera as the victor. He doesn't seem all that pleased with the victory, but he invited me to the Valera estate.|
|30003||I chased both young fools away from the waterfall. They may decide to try their luck again - but not while I'm around, I think. It would appear that I'm only seeing one layer of a much deeper and more nuanced conflict between families.|
|30004||In the duel between Orso Valera and Larro Bardatto, I have emerged the only victor. I doubt their families will be pleased.|
|30005||Orso Valera has emerged the victor in this duel, and Larro Bardatto's face is a little less pretty for it. No one was killed, and both parties seem satisfied. All in a day's work.|
|30006||Larro Bardatto has emerged the victor in the duel - and Orso Valera has a new dueling scar to remember his loss by. No one was killed, and both parties seem satisfied. All in a day's work.|