|Penhelm and his Knights of the Crucible's Novitiates' confrontation just outside Hadret House in Brackenbury|
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Osric, a freshly-made trainer of the Dozens and former member of the Crucible Knights, asks the Watcher to recover his family's heirloom, a breastplate that has been in it since the War of Defiance. The breastplate is held by novitiate Penhelm, a snitch who got Osric expelled from the Knights.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Talk to Osric in the Admeth's Den Expedition Hall in Copperlane to receive the quest.
- (Optional) Talk to Penhelm in the Crucible Keep.
- Take Penhelm's Affidavit from the Crucible Keep's archives, which is right past the main hall.
- Bring the affidavit to Kurren in Hadret House in Brackenbury.
- Once you leave, Penhelm with some Knights of the Crucible's Novitiates will confront you and demand the affidavit back.
- Choosing to give back the affidavit right away, or be honest and then give back the affidavit, will give you Moderate Positive reputation with the Knights of the Crucible. Being clever or cruel however will lead to a fight. (You may ask him for the importance of this before making your choice.)
- (Optional) Ask Penhelm to return the favor and give back Osric's Family Breastplate. He asks why he should. Talking about the armor's importance to Osric will give you nothing, while your diplomatic or passionate response will at least earn you 200 . Only by asking him if he's that stuck in the past will he hand the armor to you – which is the only way to make both sides involved in this quest happy.
- If you provoked him or refused to give him the affidavit, Penhelm and his friends will attack you. You can then loot the armor from his corpse.
- Return to Osric to complete the quest.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- You have to return the armor if you want to get the followup Dozen's quest The Bronze Beneath the Lake.
- You can also kill Penhelm inside the Crucible Keep, though this will cause every single Knight of the Crucible to turn hostile – which will block access to some other quests and options.
- If you on overly good terms with the crucible knights Wenan will refuse to give you any quest's.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||Osric was kicked out of the Crucible Knights by a fellow Knight named Penhelm. Worse, his superiors confiscated a breastplate that's been in his family for generations.Osric has asked me to retrieve a breastplate from Penhelm. He believes his rival might have forged a document from Dunryd Row verifying the purity of his soul. If I can prove Penhelm's forgery, I may have some leverage to get the breastplate back.|
|1||Find the heirloom breastplate.|
|10001||Osric, a trainer at the expedition hall in Copperlane, told me that his breastplate would be somewhere in the Crucible Keep in First Fires. He also mentioned that Penhelm, the keeper of the armory, was one of the officers who had him expelled and is unlikely to return the heirloom willingly.|
|20004||Penhelm has claimed Osric's armor for his own. He will not part with it while he is still a Crucible Knight.|
|2||Return to Osric.|
|10002||I have greatly simplified matters by killing Penhelm and recovering the breastplate from his corpse.|
|10||Find Penhelm's affidavit at Crucible Keep.|
|10010||Penhelm doesn't appear to be keen on parting with Osric's armor, which he is presently wearing. More leverage is required.Osric believes that Penhelm's affidavit, affirming that Penhelm's soul is free of any Aedyran influence, is a forgery. He said I could find it somewhere in the Crucible Keep in First Fires.|
|20005||I have found an affidavit that confirms the lineage of Penhelm's soul. It is signed by Kurren, a cipher of Dunryd Row.|
|11||Bring Penhelm's affidavit to Kurren.|
|10011||Penhelm seems to have taken Osric's armor for his own, but I have his affidavit in hand as a possible bargaining chip.Kurren, the cipher who signed off on Penhelm's affidavit, works at Hadret House in Brackenbury. He should know for certain whether or not the affidavit is genuine.|
|12||Show the affidavit to Commander Clyver.|
|10012||Osric was right - Dunryd Row found that Penhelm shared a soul legacy with a general who opposed Dyrwoodan independence. The Crucible Knights would never have admitted him.The document I have is a fake affidavit created to hide Penhelm's tainted soul legacy. Kurren has suggested that his superior officer at Crucible Keep, Commander Clyver, can have him dealt with.|
|20002||Penhelm tried to kill me to protect his secret. He failed miserably. I can now recover the breastplate and take it back to Osric.|
|20003||Penhelm confronted me, and I decided to give him the affidavit. I was also able to convince him to give me the breastplate. I can now take it back to Osric.|
|14||Return to Osric with the breastplate.|
|10014||Penhelm has been dealt with, and the breastplate is now in my possession. Osric will want to know the outcome.|
|15||Tell Osric what happened.|
|10015||I allowed Penhelm to leave with his reputation... as well as Osric's breastplate. Osric will want to know the outcome.|
|16||Retrieve the breastplate from Penhelm's corpse.|
|10016||I need to retrieve Osric's breastplate from Penhelm's corpse.|
|17||Take the breastplate from Penhelm by force.|
|10017||With Kurren dead, I have no leverage over Penhelm. The only way to acquire Osric's breastplate is to kill Penhelm at Crucible Keep in First Fires and take it from his corpse.|
|30000||✓||After I returned the affidavit to Penhelm, I convinced him to return Osric's breastplate to me. Osric couldn't quite believe the turn of events, but he was happy nonetheless.|
|30001||✓||I managed to steal the breastplate for Osric. Not that he's going to tell the Crucible Knights about it; he was happy to have it back, and I was happy to get paid.|
|30002||✓||I got Osric's breastplate, but not without a few casualties. When I told Osric, he was furious. He told me to keep his heirloom. Despite his bitterness, it seems his oath to the order still mattered to him. He certainly didn't hate Penhelm as much as it first seemed.|
|30003||✓||I got Osric's breastplate, but not without a few casualties. I had to kill Penhelm, but I didn't mention this to Osric. Fortunately, he didn't ask too many questions.|
|30004||✗||Osric is dead and his task no longer a concern.|
|30005||✓||Penhelm attacked me after I learned about his forgery. Osric seemed to regret his death, but he was glad to have his breastplate back.|
|30006||✓||I got Osric's breastplate but decided to keep it. I'm surprised Osric didn't attack me on the spot.|
|30007||✓||Punishing Penhelm for the makeup of his soul didn't seem right, so I gave the affidavit back to him. I didn't get the breastplate from him, so I won't be returning it to Osric.|