Obsidian Entertainment and the games' community use the Betas to collect feedback, thoughts and input about the games' features (and bugs), that then could be implemented into the further development.
Pillars of Eternity: Backer Beta[edit | edit source]
Access was granted to backers from the $110 tier upwards or by upgrading their pledge with an additional $25 for the "Early Access Beta Key". News, discussion and feedback were shared in an official forums' subsection, especially created for the Backer Beta (now archived).
Pillars of Eternity II: Backer Beta[edit | edit source]
The Deadfire: Backer Beta was released on November 14, 2017 on Steam and GOG. It is available to backers of the Fig game funding campaign at tiers of $99 and above or by pledging an extra $20 in the Backer Portal. Here's also where the installation instructions and key generator can be found.
News and feedback are shared – alongside platform specific forums – in the Obsidian forum community's Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (Backer Beta) board. Each month's first Thursday new features are planned to get implemented through an update.
In the retail release of the game you can still access the Backer Beta using the console command
BB before starting a new game. Note that using this command on a full release save file will bring with it all the same limitations, and may negatively affect your game. Re-entering the command while in the backer beta world will close the beta scene immediately.
Version history[edit | edit source]
- The initial version from Nov 14, 2017 was
v0.0.0.0004 Backer Beta Release 1.0820 BB.
- The first update was released on Dec 21, 2018,
v0.0.0.0021 Backer Beta Release 2.0886 BB. Alongside bugfixes, a new island, the complete AI system, walk toggle and Mac and Linux versions were introduced. Additionally many changes have been implemented, regarding Backers' feedback.
- On February 01, 2018 the Backer Beta Update 2 followed. Current version:
???. It focuses on the Defiant, enchanting and crafting, and adds features and bugfixes.
Setting and gameplay[edit | edit source]
|Beta content: The following content is from the game's Beta version and may appear not or different in the final release of the game.|
The Backer Beta starts with a, compared to its predecessor, visually enhanced Character Creation. Several new features are included, e.g. the choice between "Single Class" or "Multiclass", followed by a possible Subclass. The related ability tree has a preview feature which shows possible abilities of all levels. Weapon Proficiencies have to be chosen, that grant access to additional weapon-dependent modal abilities. The color palettes for character customization have been expanded, as well as an idle "pose" feature being added.
After having created a first level Watcher, the game jumps to the piers of a Deadfire Archipelago island Tikawara, inhabited by the Huana, who are cooperating with the Vailian Trading Company. The Watcher's party – four mercenaries in addition – just has come off their ship and may now level up to 9.
While the Watcher can leave Tikawara, the world map is limited to a small sub-section of the total world map as it is seen in the full game. A few other ships roam the seas in this area, Well-Weathered Cormio on his ship The Whirlwind, Faina Short Fur on The Red Arrow, and Veen on The Reckless. You can freely engage them in ship combat. Your ship is crewed by a number of crew members not unique to the beta, including Beodul and Irrena, who make an appearance in-person during the Prologue.
Other differences[edit | edit source]
- The level cap in the beta is level 9.
- The backer beta does not have a cinematic intro movie (as it starts immediately on Tikawara).
- The cyclopedia and tutorials buttons are not shown in the journal.
- The "Credits" button is not present in the main menu, and the "Legacy Histories" button isn't present in the settings.
- The version number has "BB" appended to it.
- Colour selection in the character customization is limited.
- Numerous changes to the layout of the map, as well as icons used (many camp icons are replaced with crates).
- Kābara Reku Shrine uses a different icon.
- Poko Kohara isn't covered in dust storms.
- The bay to the north of Tikawara is called Ngati Tara Bay. In the full version this name is not present.
- Similarly, Ofecchia Island is named in the backer beta, but not the full version.
- Tangaloa Island, while in the full game is located south of Port Maje, here is is placed to the northeast of Tikawara.
- The small chain of islands directly to the north of Tikawara are different in the full game. However, the full game still has the same shape and location of the island chain when viewed on the world map.
- The small U-shaped island to the southeast of this island is found in multiple places throughout the full game:
- The minor island to the west of Ofecchia Island is present in a quite a number of locations in the full game:
- South-southeast of Tikawara in the full game.
- East of Maje Island.
- Northwest of the aforementioned interlocking island north-west of Hasongo.
- An island south of Hasongo, containing a port.
- Southwestern island in the Kangati Islands chain (with the volcano on it).
- The island containing The Steel Preacher, south of Fort Deadlight.
- South of Motare o Kōzi, next to Hungry Shoals.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Pillars of Eternity: Backer Beta - Obsidian Forum Community
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (Backer Beta) - Obsidian Forum Community
- Deadfire Backer Portal
- Update #84: Welcome to the Backer Beta
- Backer Beta going live at 3:00 PM PDT
- Release Trailer on Paradox Interactive's YouTube channel
- Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment — Kickstarter
- Backer Beta Build 480 is Live!
- Welcome to the Deadfire: Backer Beta!
- Update #42 - The Backer Beta is Live!
- Backer Beta Update 1: Patch Notes
- Backer Beta Update 2 Patch Notes