Pallegina mes Rèi
|Biography and appearance|
|Game||Pillars of Eternity|
|Faction||Frermàs mes Canc Suolias|
|Attributes||Mig: 12 Con: 13 Dex: 11 Per: 14 Int: 13 Res: 15|
At All Costs|
The Child of Five Suns
The Nest Above the Clouds
|“||Ah, the luxury of choosing what tangled idiocies you can be involved with. It must be nice.||”|
Biography[edit | edit source]
Pallegina mes Rèi is a 26 years old, thin athletic woman with dark brown skin, brown afro, and a mix of avian features: Golden bird eyes and feathers growing out of her hair and limbs, a sign of godlike heritage linked to Hylea, the Sky-Mother. She was born to human parents in a small ﬁshing village near Biageppe. During childbirth, her unusual body caused her mother enormous pain and internal bleeding, nearly killing her. Upon seeing the baby’s body, the midwife realized that Pallegina must be a godlike, touched by one of the deities and “blessed” with unusual features. Though she was given the name of her great-grandmother on her mother's side, she was named mes Rèi like all godlike among the Vailians.
Despite her status, her first six years of life were defined by hardship: Injuries sustained in childbirth prevented her mother from bearing more children, leading her father to hate her for seemingly ending his line. Although he did not throttle Pallegina at birth (a common choice among godlike parents, one few are blamed for), the resentment defined her early years. For what it was worth, her mother never blamed her for anything, but she was only a woman in the Republics. Everything changed for the young godlike when Frermàs mes Canc Suolias (Brotherhood of the Five Suns) were dispatched by the duc of Ozia to eliminate pirates plaguing her home town, Pallegina saw how people celebrated and thanked them for their service. More importantly, she saw how they were free to leave the village, leaving its dreary existence behind. Her father saw an opportunity to both get rid of his damned child and still come ahead.
He traded her for back taxes owed to the duc. The recruiter accepted the godlike as a prestigious recruit. Although the Frermàs were an all-male order, Republic's laws considered all godlike to be genderless (due to their inability to sire or bear children), and so the young Pallegina was accepted. Although it raised a few eyebrows and caused no small amount of resentment among the more conservative members of the order, she quickly learned not to care and focus on her duties, eventually passing her final examinations at 20.
Service[edit | edit source]
Although rebellious, Pallegina managed to toe the line between insubordination and initiative for six long years, long enough to establish herself as a trusted operative of the ducs. Although the songretta would prefer she be just another tool in their hands, Pallegina's unique perspective and patriotism led her to believe that there are better ways to protect the Vailian Republics than pure economic domination and naval might. When she was instructed to accompany ambassadors and merchants to Defiance Bay, protecting them while they ensure the ports remain open for the Republics to evacuate their holdings from the city in anticipation of a popular revolt caused by Waidwen's Legacy, her doubts turned to certainty. She realized that ducal thinking in ordinary ﬁnancial terms was a tunnel-vision, focusing on the traditional resources of maritime trade and ignoring the revolutionary potential of animancy pioneered in the Dyrwood and the Republics. The ducs' short-sighted policy would protect many of their investments, but ensure the Republics would be weakened by the loss of inestimable wealth in animancy research and technology.
Acting against her orders, Pallegina decided to investigate the underlying causes of revolutionary talk, shadowing ﬁgures at the ducal palace and interrogating information brokers. When she discovered that animancy itself may be a key element of the political upset, she tried placing herself closer to the attendants and courtiers of the erls and (Dyrwoodan) duc. Due to her political allegiances and striking appearance, she quickly failed at this endeavor and received an official rebuke from the Brotherhood. Rather than test their patience, Pallegina decided to lay low, executing her standing orders as a glorified bodyguard, while looking for an opportunity to restart her investigation. Unfortunately for her, this meant being stuck in a holding pattern, watching over Mestre Verzano of the Vailian Trading Company and playing witness to his inexorable descent into abject failure and quite likely death. Something that cannot come too soon to liberate her from the burden
The Watcher[edit | edit source]
In encountering the Watcher, Pallegina recognized a potential ally in her investigation. After Verzano was out of the picture, freeing her from his net of stupidity, she urged the Watcher to assist her in ﬁnding the parties who are conspiring to outlaw animancy in the Dyrwood – and possibly the Vailian Republics. Unfortunately, her superiors did not agree, and instead ordered her to broker a trade deal between the Vailian Republics and Eir Glanfath, aiming to take over Dyrwood's trade with the Glanfathans. She had serious misgivings about her ducs' plans, keenly aware that whatever short-term profit might be gained from taking over trade with Eir Glanfath would be outweighed by the long-term losses resulting from alienating the Dyrwood. The Republics would eventually pay the price for such ruthlessness, as while the Dyrwood may have lost a generation of soldiers due to Waidwen's Legacy, it would eventually regain its power… With all that entails. But the road to Twin Elms was long enough to allow her to mull over the choice she has to make.
Most importantly, her mission to Eir Glanfath is also a test of Pallegina's loyalty. Her independence was a long-standing problem by the ducs. News of her unsanctioned investigation reached the ears of the ducesa of Biageppe and the duc of Selona. Pallegina's actions complicated the already volatile situation, raising concerns about her ability to fulfill her duties. Her immediate superior, ambassador Vicent Agosti, shared their sentiment: Although he had sympathy for her viewpoint, he was utterly loyal to the ducs and feared what might happen if news of their insubordination reached Spirento.
Deadfire Archipelago[edit | edit source]
Interactions[edit | edit source]
|This character is a party member.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Companion behavior[edit | edit source]
- Pallegina is a Republic patriot with an almost single-minded devotion to the Republics and their prosperity. She possesses a wealth of information about them and will frequently provide it when a Vailian institution or person is involved.
- She gets on well with other companions due to her compassion. Durance is perhaps the sole exception, due to his misogyny, and is frequently at the receiving end of Pallegina's sarcasm.
- Despite being an avian godlike, she can't stand birds.
Quests[edit | edit source]
- At All Costs: Pallegina is bound by the orders of the ducs to protest a wretched merchant. Freeing her from this obligation will earn her loyalty.
- The Child of Five Suns: Pallegina is caught between honoring the wishes of the ducs bels and pursuing the leads she believes will be more beneﬁcial to her country in the long run, which involve learning about animancy. It is received by talking to Vicent Agosti in the Vailian Embassy in First Fires. The quest cannot be resolved until Act 3, when Twin Elms becomes available.
- The Nest Above the Clouds: Although not a part of the quest, Pallegina has an unique interaction when turning the quest in, confronting Hylea over her nature and creation. Naturally, the goddess ignores Pallegina's pain and demands, leaving her with a statement that she would do nothing to dampen Pallegina's song.
Unique talents and gear[edit | edit source]
As the only avian godlike in the game, she receives the following passive racial talent:
- Elusive Quarry: +10 Deflection against ranged attacks, +10 Defense when Disengaging while Endurance below 50%, and +3 Perception while Endurance below 50%.
From her paladin order Frermàs mes Canc Suolias (which is, again, unique to her) she gets the following class talents:
- Vielo Vidòrio: Gives nearby allies an attack speed bonus when Flames of Devotion is used.
- Wrath of Five Suns: Shoots out five Burn damage projectiles when Sworn Enemy is used.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Pallegina was written by Joshua Sawyer.
- She is not affected by the Reputations or Dispositions of the player.
- Before PoE 1.03, Pallegina had the following attributes: Mig: 12 Con: 13 Dex: 11 Per: 14 Int: 13 Res: 15.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Forum post by Josh Sawyer
- Pillars of Eternity Strategy Guide
- Forum post by Josh Sawyer
- Forum post by Josh Sawyer
- At All Costs
- Interactions with the ambassador and Pallegina after completing At All Costs.
- Praying to Hylea during Council of Stars will prompt this comment.
- forum post by J.E. Sawyer