Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
It is located at the coordinates 25° 50', 40° 8', on an island to the north of Maje Island.
Background[edit | edit source]
Interaction[edit | edit source]
- The Watcher can approach the shore to take part in the race, or watch the race from the bridge and take bets.
- Note that choosing to approach either the bridge or the shore, will start the interaction, if you leave at this point, the race will take place and the interaction will be completed. If you "Return the way you came", before approaching either area, you'll be able to return to the interaction at a later point.
The bridge[edit | edit source]
At the bridge, the Watcher talks to an orlan who is taking bets from the other foreign spectators.
- Asking about the race yields:
|The orlan grins. "Ain't from around here, are you?" His Readceran accent suggest that he isn't either. "It's a local tradition. A swim race up the Osa Channel after a big storm, when the current's at its strongest. Winner gets a..." He scratches the back of his head. "...some kind of gewgaw or somesuch. Bragging rights, too"|
- The watcher can then proceed to bet on the race, watch the race, or make their way over to the shore.
The shore[edit | edit source]
- At the shore, the Watcher talks to a female Huana.
- Asking about the race yields:
|The arc of her hand describes first the swimmers, then the waters, then the inlet on the other side. "They challenge the Osa Channel. The rains fell, and the waters run swift. They must swim swifter yet. For each who finishes, there is honor. For the one who wins, there is more."|
- Asking "Who stands the best chance at winning" won't get a reaction from the Huana, but with Perception 12, you can spot "...her glance towards the wiry, blond aumaua".
- With Perception 12 or Insight 1, you can examine the competitors. Examining yourself, or with a companion grants different text - but conveys the same information. The competitors are; a heavily muscled bald woman, a lean blond man and a gangly young man, in his late teens.
- If you made a bet at the bridge, you can choose to strengthen the gangly teen with a spell that buffs Might. This evens the odds, giving a fair chance to win, although you gain Shady reputation. The buff is negated if you choose to participate yourself.
- If you ask to join the race, the woman will say that the race has always been done by aumaua, and adds that "...it may be too much for another kith". With a check, you can try convince her to allow you to join the race:
- The woman asks you to strip naked and join the others at the waters edge. You can choose to do so or not, but it does not affect the outcome, nor does it change the difficulty of the checks. Either way you get some smirky dialogue from your companions.
- At any point, you can make your way over to the bridge.
The race[edit | edit source]
- As a participant, an Athletics 2 or a Might 12 check at the start of the race will determine if you can keep up with the Huana.
- Unless you chose not to participate and instead buffing the gangly teen with a spell, he begins to drown and you can choose one of the following options:
- Helping the man to shore successfully requires a Athletics 1 or Might 13 check. If you fail the check, you will start to drown yourself. This will cause the bald woman to save both of you, giving the victory to the blond man.
- Saving the drowning man yourself will gain you moderate positive reputation with the Huana, but as a participant will lose you the race, and leave the other two competitors. In this case, the bald woman will win if you're participating, or random otherwise. On the other hand, choosing not to help will cause the bald woman to break off and help the drowning man instead, leaving the race between you (if participating), and the blond man.
- Passing another two Athletics 3 and Athletics 1 checks will win you the race. Besides honor, you get a measely Ring of Unshackling for your efforts.
The bet[edit | edit source]
If you won the bet, you get:
- 30x Azata Nui Shells: (150) for betting on the bald woman.
- 50x Azata Nui Shellss (250) for betting on the blond man.
- 100x Azata Nui Shells (500) for betting on the gangly young man.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Graphics used in this scripted interaction: