|“||A young field of knowledge, Metaphysics deals with animancy, adra, the Wheel, the In-Between, the Beyond, and all mysteries of the soul.||”|
Souls and rebirth[edit | edit source]
A Soul is an energy that can bind to an individual. When that individual dies, the energy moves forward in the eternal cycle of reincarnation, known as The Wheel. Souls are comprised of soul essence, a power that can exist in places other than souls and is used in magic.
The Wheel is a natural phenomenon. After death, souls travel to a shadow world called the In-Between. Using pillars of adra, souls then enter a place known as The Beyond, the realm of the gods, before they are reincarnated back into the world.
Animancy[edit | edit source]
Animancy is the science of soul manipulation. A field both controversial and relatively new (within the past few hundred years). Banned in some nations like Aedyr, but permitted in other countries like the Dyrwood and the Vailian Republics.
Animacy has had varying degrees of success. In 2809 AI, animancers tried to solve a hollowborn crisis (children born without souls) known as Waidwen's Legacy by implanting the souls of animals into children. Unfortunately, those children became feral when hitting puberty, turning into Wichts.
Realms[edit | edit source]
There are three known realms.
- The Here: The physical world where the living are. The gods cannot interact with this realm directly in their current forms.
- The In-Between: The shadow world that souls wander after death on their way to the Beyond. It has been described as a hazy landscape, empty but for the glow of other souls and adra. The gods and the living cannot interact with this realm. Only Watchers can peer into it and interact with lost souls.
- The Beyond: A metaphysical concept for where souls go after death before they are reincarnated back into the world. This is also the realm of the gods.
Deities[edit | edit source]
- Kickstarter Update #5: "Whatever the fundamental nature of mortal souls is, the people of the world accept the reality of what they have observed: that all mortal bodies contain perceptible energy bound to the individual, and that once they die, their energy will move forward in the eternal cycle that they are all a part of -- that as far as they know, they have always been a part of."
- In game cyclopedia, Essence: "Souls are made up of essence. As a resource, this soul matter is prized by animancers, who experiments often require its use."
- In game cyclopedia, The Beyond: "The Beyond is a metaphysical concept for where souls go after death before they are reincarnated back into the world. This is also the realm of the gods."
- In game cyclopedia, Animancy
- In game cyclopedia, In-Between
- Berath dialog after Magran's Teeth: "Soul essence sustains us. We feed off it, off the little fragments you mortal kith shed like snake skin as you pass into your next life."