Honor Among Thieves
|Honor Among Thieves|
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Complete the quest for Furrante
Complete the quest for Aeldys
Wipe out the Principi leadership
The Coming Storm
A Dance with Death
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Furrante has charged Aeldys with having committed crimes of defiance, negligence, excessive cruelty, and sedition against the Príncipi. The Council of Captains has voted to execute Aeldys, however, she is the only one who knows the means for which to summon the Floating Hangman - information Furrante needs before Aeldys can hang.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Your good pal Captain Furrante wants to eliminate Captain Aeldys as potential leader of the Deadfire pirates and use her knowledge to seize the Floating Hangman, a mysterious ship. He sends you to carry out the execution. He has already secured the consent of the Consuaglo by accusing her of sacrificing a Principi crew to lure out the Floating Hangman.
The following steps depend on how you dealt with Benweth.
If Benweth is alive, Aeldys is already in custody and has been tortured for hours on top of Balefire Beacon:
- Free her and slaughter everyone else: Freeing Aeldys will turn all other pirates hostile. Kill everyone, and Aeldys will take over as head of the Council. You can loot Furrante's Breastplate from Furrante's corpse, and will recveive Scordeo's Edge from Aeldys. You'll also loot Benweth's suolenet. Talking to Two-Eyed Pim, you can insist on having a seat on the Council.
- Convince her to cooperate: Use Insight 7 to suggest it's her ego talking. Through the dialogue you can have her offer to take Clussa's Voyage in return for the Hangman's secret. You can convince Furrante make the offer too, before talking to her, using Insight 12 or Intellect 16.
- Kill her and read her soul: Talking to Aeldys at the roof of the Balefire Beacon, you will discover that she's commited the information she found regarding the Floating Hangman to memory, in order to be too valuable to kill outright. You can point out to her that, as a Watcher, you could simply kill her and read the memories of her soul. Which is exactly what you can do (using the attack option in the tool bar). Furrante will be slightly miffed that he couldn't have a bit more circus around her death, but that's "neither here nor there now". You'll receive Fleetbreaker as a rewards. It is also possible to go back down and speak to Furrante. By doing so you can order an execution and Aeldys will be publicly hanged.
If Benweth was killed, you need to confront Aeldys in the Fort Deadlight command room. You can kill her and take the information you need from her corpse. This yields you the unique sword Hel Beckoning as loot, but you'll have to fight your way out of the fort.
Or you can tell Aeldys about Furrante's plan, and ally with her to take him out instead. This can lead to a violent confrontation at the Balefire Beacon in Dunnage, causing much loss of reputation with the Principí as you kill all the pirates in the throne room. By way of reward, you receive Scordeo's Edge and Blackblade's Hood from Aeldys.
Alternatively, with enough proof, you can turn the council against Furrante by exposing his involvement with the slave trade and his secret alliance with the Vailian Trading Company. In Furrante's office (southwestern corner of Balefire Beacon) there's a locked chest containing a letter from Ignato Castol, discussing their secret alliance. You can easily unlock the chest with a total lockpicking skill of 13 or higher, or you can attempt to pickpocket Furrante for his key.
Either way, the leadership matter is settled - and it's time to catch a Death Guard.
Relevant dialogue to choosing which is the lesser of two evils[edit | edit source]
Furrante's vision for Ukaizo and the Principi, respectively:
- "We will keep it from the hands of others for one. We will settle it, plunder its endless resources, and enjoy having a place to call home.
- "Riches and wealth, incomparable to what we have had before. When we rule Ukaizo, we will thrive. none shall hold the means to threaten us."
Aeldys' vision for Ukaizo and the Principi, respectively:
- "We sack Ukaizo. Really run it into the ground. The way I see it, we'll either survive Eora's end to sail off with the riches, Or, well, we won't. Regardless, we'll have a Hel of a last go. If we can find and pilfer whatever your rogue god's after, who knows. Maybe us pirates will be heroes."
- "We survive at any cost. We expand, conquer the seas. We live free, and we die as we choose. What better life could there be? If we've only got the one life to live - no future for Eora, no more chances for our souls - then we may as well relish what time we've got."
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||Honor Among Thieves|
|10000||Furrante has charged Aeldys with having committed crimes of defiance, negligence, excessive cruelty, and sedition against the Príncipi. The Council of Captains has voted to execute Aeldys, however, she is the only one who knows the means for which to summon the Floating Hangman - information Furrante needs before Aeldys can hang.|
|40001||Furrante and Aeldys' differences have come to a head, and Furrante has asked that she answer for her crimes against the Príncipi, sending me as his executioner.|
|40003||I've received a letter from Furrante. He has summoned the Council of Captains to Balefire Beacon, in Dunnage, and has asked me to meet him there as soon as possible.|
|1||Confront Aeldys at Fort Deadlight.|
|10001||Furrante has tasked me with carrying out the execution of Captain Aeldys. She's holed up in her refuge, Fort Deadlight.|
|2||Speak with Aeldys.|
|10002||Furrante believes Aeldys has been withholding information on how to control the Floating Hangman. He needs this information before she can hang for her crimes. She's imprisoned at the top of the Balefire Tower in Balefire Beacon.|
|20002||I convinced Furrante to let Aeldys leave Dunnage on Clussa's Voyage, as long as she reveals the means to summon the Floating Hangman and never sails under the Príncipi banner again.|
|4||Return to Furrante in Dunnage's Balefire Beacon.|
|10004||I learned how to summon the Floating Hangman from reading Aeldys' soul.|
|6||Decide Aeldys' fate.|
|10006||Aeldys has destroyed her research on the Floating Hangman. Unless she's convinced to share this information the only way to gather it is by reading her soul after she's died.|
|20001||Aeldys has offered to take Clussa's Voyage in exchange for the information she knows about the Floating Hangman.|
|20000||Aeldys is convinced Furrante will never step down once his power is absolute. She suggested breaking her lose and taking the fight to Furrante, once and for all.|
|20004||I tried reasoning with Aeldys, but she wouldn't see it my way. As long as Furrante is in charge, she'll die before giving up the information.|
|20005||I took matters into my own hands and killed Aeldys. In doing so, her soul revealed to me the means to summon the Floating Hangman: a Darcozzi oath spoken over the sword while at sea.|
|10007||I've freed Aeldys from the guards who held her captive at the top of the Balefire Tower. Only Furrante and his loyal council members stand in our way.|
|14||Offer Aeldys Furrante's terms.|
|10014||Furrante is willing to offer Aeldys a lighter punishment - exile instead of death - if she gives up the information she has about the Floating Hangman.|
|15||Remove Furrante from power.|
|10015||Aeldys is prepared to work with me to control the Floating Hangman. First, Furrante must be deposed. The captain continues to lead the Príncipi from his fort of Balefire Beacon in Dunnage.|
|19||Speak with Aeldys.|
|10019||It came to a violent end. Furrante and his loyalists are dead. I'll let Aeldys know that she is free.|
|20||Read Aeldys' soul.|
|10020||Aeldys was executed for treason. Furrante has asked me to read her soul in order to uncover the information she hid about the Floating Hangman.|
|22||Give Furrante Aeldys' terms|
|10022||Aeldys has agreed to take Clussa's Voyage in exchange for what she knows. Hopefully, Furrante will agree to these terms.|
|23||Speak with Captain Furrante at Dunnage.|
|10023||The Príncipi leader has bid me visit him in the Balefire Beacon of Dunnage. Something of vital importance to the interests of the Príncipi has taken place.|
|24||Speak with Aeldys at Fort Deadlight.|
|10024||I've dealt with Furrante on my own terms. The old council leader no longer has any sway on the Príncipi. Aeldys will assume leadership once I let her know of the situation.|
|25||Speak with Aeldys at Fort Deadlight.|
|10025||I've dealt with Furrante on my own terms. The old council leader no longer has any sway on the Príncipi. Aeldys will assume leadership once I let her know of the situation.|
|-||20003||Aeldys is willing to give up her information if Furrante steps down from his position on the Council of Captains.|
|40002||Aeldys admitted to destroying any evidence of the modern name of where Lucia Rivan and Yseyr did battle years ago. However, she did it as a precaution to keep Furrante's hands off it once she was certain it was the right location. Now that she is, she is prepared to work with me to find it. All that is left is to deal with Furrante who stands between her and a new era for the Príncipi.|
|30000||In lieu of the charges pressed against Aeldys, Furrante had her executed. All dissent among the Príncipi has been silenced.|
|30001||I was able to find evidence of Furrante's involvement with the slavers - a crime punishable by death in the Príncipi. With that knowledge I was able to convince the Príncipi that Furrante should be executed in Aeldys' stead.|
|30002||In light of the charges pressed against her, I was able to convince Aeldys that her best bet in regaining her honor was to undergo Clussa's Voyage and take her chances with the storm.|
|30003||In lieu of the evidence of Furrante's treason, he agreed to give up his position as head of the Príncipi as long as the truth never came to light, leaving Aeldys to take over the Council of Captains.|
|30004||I decided to end Aeldys' life. Now Furrante may lead the Príncipi without further obstruction.|
|30005||I decided to end Furrante's life. Aeldys may now take over the Council of Captains and lead the Príncipi across the Deadfire.|
|30006||I decided to kill both Aeldys and Furrante, sealing the fate of the Príncipi now that they have no one to lead them.|
|-||30007||I left Aeldys behind at Balefire Beacon after agreeing to help her. Furrante won't take kindly to our actions.|