|Biography and appearance|
|Game||Pillars of Eternity|
|Culture||Free Palatinate of Dyrwood|
|Attributes||Mig: 16 Con: 16 Dex: 11 Per: 12 Int: 10 Res: 13|
|Quests||Fragments of a Scattered Faith|
Background[edit | edit source]
Edér is a broad man with straw-colored hair, standing 6'2" (188 cm) tall. His scale armor, blade, and pipe are his most easily recognizable attributes - together with a laid-back, blackly humorous outlook on life. Expect no less from a veteran of the Saint's War.
He hails from Gilded Vale, the little village out on Dyrwood's frontier. A farmer and devotee of Eothas for much of his early life, his life was changed forever when St. Waidwen overthrew Readceras and turned it into a theocracy with him as the living incarnate of Eothas. As he marched his armies down into Dyrwood, Woden, Eder's brother, decided to enlist, much to the chagrin of his family. Both his parents and Eder argued that he should remain with his people, rather than go to war against his own god. Eder, in a fit of rage, had a major fight with his brother, flinging every horrid thing he could think of at him - and failing to convince him. A few months later, Edér decided that his brother might be right after all followed his brother's lead, enlisting with the Dyrwoodan army.
He did not believe Waidwen to be the true incarnation of Eothas because of his punishment of non-believers, more akin to a vengeful god like Skaen or Woedica than the god of light. However, he wasn't aware that Woden wound up fighting for Readceras, turning away from Defiance Bay and marching to Readceras, enlisting with the army... And eventually perishing in the Third Battle of Cliaban Rilag. Eder continued to serve with distinction, right up to the Dyrwoodan Hello at Halgot Citadel, when Waidwen found himself at the receiving end of the Godhammer bomb. Edér returned to the Vale alongside his captain, trying to find solace after the experience of the war and loss of his brother.
Welcomed as a hero, he quickly found employment on a farm, with his former captain becoming his headman. However, as the Hollowborn crisis intensified and the purges of Eothasian followers began, rumors began to circulate that his brother actually fought for Readceras. Edér was saved from the noose by his war record and his headman's vouching for him, but the rumors planted a seed of doubt in his mind about the true loyalties of his brother. The prejudice against Eothasians only intensified with time. The Teylecgs moved across the ocean to Aedyr, with Eder staying behind out of habit. His luck held for a while, even as the tree in the courtyard of the former Eothasian temple in the Vale filled with followers of the Splintered God.
However, by the time the Watcher came to Gilded Vale, Edér's luck was running out. As the sole remaining worshipper of Eothas, it was only a matter of time until Raedric's goons found an excuse to hoist him on the tree as the nineteenth victim of the Lord's madness.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
|This character is a party member.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Companion[edit | edit source]
- Edér is an incredibly powerful fighter character, effectively immune to most challenges that the enemy can try and throw at him by the endgame. He's particularly powerful as a tank, locking down enemies and typically remaining as the last man standing.
- Despite his firepower, Edér is polite, laid-back, and possessed of a particularly dark type of black humor. He loves animals and tends to pet them at any opportunity - with their caretakers' consent. This is regardless of whether it's Sagani's Itumaak or Simoc's stelgaer.
Companion quest[edit | edit source]
Edér's companion quest is Fragments of a Scattered Faith which you can receive by talking to him after finishing The Old Watcher. Completing this quest will require you to have a Reputation of moderately positive with Defiance Bay.
Edér asks the Watcher to help him seek answers as to the rumors circulating around his brother's loyalties, as Maerwald was too damaged to provide assistance himself. Seeking to know whether he did truly join Waidwen in his rampage, Edér and the Watcher investigate the militia records in Defiance Bay, which the Watcher is granted access to as a result of their positive reputation in the city. Upon reading up on it, Edér discovers his brother did indeed fight for Readceras. Confused, he asks the Watcher to visit his brother's last battlefield. With the aid of multiple artifacts and a Cipher, the Watcher is able to glimpse the journey of Edér's brother through the Dyrwood and into Readceras. They discover he personally met with Waidwen, but is unable to discover what they talked about due to an intense energy radiating off Waidwen, which disrupts the Watcher's abilities in the present day. Shortly thereafter, the vision shows the final battle, and then ends. Upon revealing what they saw, Edér is distraught to discover how little they have learned, and is now deeply troubled by the possibility that he may have abandoned his god when he needed him. He thanks the Watcher for their assistance as they continue their journey.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Edér was written by Eric Fenstermaker.
- He is voiced by Matthew Mercer.
- During the Kickstarter Campaign, he was called Edair but his name was changed to Edér to reflect the language of the Dyrwood.
- Edér's class changed during development from a fighter to a rogue, and then back again.
- Edér has the unique background Farmer, which provides +1 Survival and Athletics
- Before version 1.03, Edér had the following Attributes: Mig: 16 Con: 16 Dex: 11 Per: 10 Int: 13 Res: 12.
- Edér will return in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Promotional image for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
- Eric Fenstermaker on Companions - who wrote what?
- Tweet by Matthew Mercer
- The Something Awful Forums post by Josh Sawyer (registration required)
- Unofficial forum post on this topic
- The Something Awful Forums post by Josh Sawyer (currently no registration required)
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign Launch Trailer