|Biography and appearance|
Pillars of Eternity |
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
|Culture||Free Palatinate of Dyrwood|
|Attributes||Mig: 16 Con: 16 Dex: 11 Per: 12 Int: 10 Res: 13|
Fragments of a Scattered Faith|
The Lighted Path
Background[edit | edit source]
Edér is a broad man with straw-colored hair, standing 6'2" (188 cm) tall. His scale armor, blade, and pipe are his most easily recognizable attributes - together with a laid-back, blackly humorous outlook on life. Expect no less from a veteran of the Saint's War.
He hails from Gilded Vale, the little village out on Dyrwood's frontier. A farmer and devotee of Eothas for much of his early life, his life was changed forever when St. Waidwen overthrew Readceras and turned it into a theocracy with him as the living incarnate of Eothas. As he marched his armies down into Dyrwood, Woden, Eder's brother, decided to enlist, much to the chagrin of his family. Both his parents and Eder argued that he should remain with his people, rather than go to war against his own god. Eder, in a fit of rage, had a major fight with his brother, flinging every horrid thing he could think of at him - and failing to convince him. A few months later, Edér decided that his brother might be right after all followed his brother's lead, enlisting with the Dyrwoodan army.
He did not believe Waidwen to be the true incarnation of Eothas because of his punishment of non-believers, more akin to a vengeful god like Skaen or Woedica than the god of light. However, he wasn't aware that Woden wound up fighting for Readceras, turning away from Defiance Bay and marching to Readceras, enlisting with the army... And eventually perishing in the Third Battle of Cliaban Rilag. Eder continued to serve with distinction, right up to the Dyrwoodan Hello at Halgot Citadel, when Waidwen found himself at the receiving end of the Godhammer bomb. Edér returned to the Vale alongside his captain, trying to find solace after the experience of the war and loss of his brother.
Welcomed as a hero, he quickly found employment on a farm, with his former captain becoming his headman. However, as the Hollowborn crisis intensified and the purges of Eothasian followers began, rumors began to circulate that his brother actually fought for Readceras. Edér was saved from the noose by his war record and his headman's vouching for him, but the rumors planted a seed of doubt in his mind about the true loyalties of his brother. The prejudice against Eothasians only intensified with time. The Teylecgs moved across the ocean to Aedyr, with Eder staying behind out of habit. His luck held for a while, even as the tree in the courtyard of the former Eothasian temple in the Vale filled with followers of the Splintered God.
However, by the time the Watcher came to Gilded Vale, Edér's luck was running out. As the sole remaining worshipper of Eothas, it was only a matter of time until Raedric's goons found an excuse to hoist him on the tree as the nineteenth victim of the Lord's madness.
Traveling with the Watcher proved to be the adventure of his life. A simple farmer from Gilded Vale wound up taking down the immortal head of an ancient cult, learning the truth about the gods, and eventually deciding to take his life further. Depending on whether the Watcher reinforced his belief in the gods or encouraged him to find a new way in life, Eder either found a calling in the role of Dyrford's mayor, reforming the town and driving out the Skaenites, or joined the Night Market, an underground society of Eothasian worshipers, with the aim of helping his fellow believers find a better life.
Deadfire[edit | edit source]
If Eder joined the Night Market: Eder joined the Night Market after meeting a member of the organization in typical Eder fashion: Bashing his head into the target after a game of Orlan's Head went awry. When the man noticed the symbol of Eothas that Eder carried of his chest, the two started talking - and a month or two later, Eder was introduced to the group. Most of the time, he helped Eothasians get out of bad situations, setting them up with better jobs, though the usual power struggles within the group cost a few of their charges their lives - something Eder isn't quite sure was necessary.
If Eder became mayor of Dyrford: Eder established himself as mayor, driving out the last of Skaen's kind and enforcing his own brand of frontier justice. Life was fair and safe under his rule... Though he was always missing something, or rather someone: Someone to show his work to. Someone like Elafa.
Eder heard of the destruction of Caed Nua at Eothas' hands and returned to help the Watcher once more - and helped charter the ship to bring the Watcher closer to Eothas in the Deadfire Archipelago. He's grown ever more sarcastic as a result of his experiences - though he hasn't lost any of his good nature or love of cuddly animals. However, the return of his god hasn't done anything to help him resolve the underlying conflict over his religion and morals - if anything, it only amplified it. He doesn't know whether following him is the right path - or if there isn't one - and hopes that the Watcher can help him.
Another concern is his old flame. Eder never stopped loving her and would like to find her among the waters of the Deadfire. Particularly after he realizes that she had a son after the last time they were together - a chance that it is his son drives Eder forward.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
|This character is a party member.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Companion[edit | edit source]
- Edér is an incredibly powerful fighter character, effectively immune to most challenges that the enemy can try and throw at him by the endgame. He's particularly powerful as a tank, locking down enemies and typically remaining as the last man standing.
- Despite his firepower, Edér is polite, laid-back, and possessed of a particularly dark type of black humor. He loves animals and tends to pet them at any opportunity - with their caretakers' consent. This is regardless of whether it's Sagani's Itumaak or Simoc's stelgaer.
Companion quest[edit | edit source]
Edér's companion quest is Fragments of a Scattered Faith which you can receive by talking to him after finishing The Old Watcher. Completing this quest will require you to have a Reputation of moderately positive with Defiance Bay.
Edér asks the Watcher to help him seek answers as to the rumors circulating around his brother's loyalties, as Maerwald was too damaged to provide assistance himself. Seeking to know whether he did truly join Waidwen in his rampage, Edér and the Watcher investigate the militia records in Defiance Bay, which the Watcher is granted access to as a result of their positive reputation in the city. Upon reading up on it, Edér discovers his brother did indeed fight for Readceras. Confused, he asks the Watcher to visit his brother's last battlefield. With the aid of multiple artifacts and a Cipher, the Watcher is able to glimpse the journey of Edér's brother through the Dyrwood and into Readceras. They discover he personally met with Waidwen, but is unable to discover what they talked about due to an intense energy radiating off Waidwen, which disrupts the Watcher's abilities in the present day. Shortly thereafter, the vision shows the final battle, and then ends. Upon revealing what they saw, Edér is distraught to discover how little they have learned, and is now deeply troubled by the possibility that he may have abandoned his god when he needed him. He thanks the Watcher for their assistance as they continue their journey.
|This character is a party member.|
|This character starts quests.|
Companion[edit | edit source]
- Eder is the first companion you receive in your party. He can be a Fighter, a Rogue, or a multiclass of the two (Swashbuckler). He's as powerful as he was in Pillars of Eternity and a strong member of any party.
- Once you pick Xoti up, he will mention the Dawnstars and a friend from Gilded Vale he would like to look up while in Deadfire. with Insight 2, Perception 11, or Diplomacy 2 you can press the issue and learn that she's a one-time lover of his, with a penchant for really, really loud screaming when she climaxes. Oh, Eder, you rapscallion.
- More importantly, Eder is grappling with his doubts about Eothas. Once your reputation passes the first threshold, he will ask for your input on how to maintain your moral compass in the face of impossible odds and taking the right path (assuming he has a high opinion of you) and whether it's possible to follow Eothas still.
- Eder likes:
- Anti-Leaden Key
- Animal Kindness: Appreciates kindness and sentimentality toward animals of all kinds.
- Pro-Eothasians: Supports the followers of Eothas.
- Lighthearted: Appreciates jokes and levity in life, even in the darkest of circumstances.
- Traditional: Respects and enjoys cultural traditions and believes they are worthwhile to observe and practice.
- Eder dislikes:
- Animal Cruelty: Has a negative reaction to people who are cruel or callous toward animals.
- Anti-Eothasians: Does not respond well to criticism of or hostility toward the followers of Eothas.
- Pro-Leaden Key: Distrusts the Leaden Key and those who make excuses for it.
- He's inclined towards Xoti, a fellow follower of Eothas, though his shyness may make it a tad hard for him to openly talk with her.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Edér was written by Eric Fenstermaker.
- He is voiced by Matthew Mercer.
- During the Kickstarter Campaign, he was called Edair but his name was changed to Edér to reflect the language of the Dyrwood.
- Edér's class changed during development from a fighter to a rogue, and then back again.
- Edér has the unique background Farmer, which provides +1 Survival and Athletics
- Before version 1.03, Edér had the following Attributes: Mig: 16 Con: 16 Dex: 11 Per: 10 Int: 13 Res: 12.
- Edér will return in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Promotional image for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
- Eric Fenstermaker on Companions - who wrote what?
- Tweet by Matthew Mercer
- The Something Awful Forums post by Josh Sawyer (registration required)
- Unofficial forum post on this topic
- The Something Awful Forums post by Josh Sawyer (currently no registration required)
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign Launch Trailer