Death's Depthless Dominion
|Death's Depthless Dominion [BW]|
The Dead Floe
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Defeat the dragon
Defeat the dragon and the Beast
To Rise and Decline
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Against their better judgement, the Watcher struck a bargain with Rymrgand: In return for access to the Void and finding the means to close the Vydmath, they will hunt down Neriscyrlas, a dracolich that bruises Rymrgand's ego with every moment she spends flouting his laws. The hunt begins by stepping through the portal.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- After conversing with Rymrgand (and provided you didn't tell the god of death to fuck right off), enter the portal to appear in the Shattered Passage. Move north through the Soul Collector to meet the dracolich as she tears apart Rynhaedr. She will be amused, refuse to answer your questions, then promptly break through the floor and fly off. You're left with the task of putting Rynhaedr back together. Find the wandering souls at the entrances to all the three side areas, then talk to the fourth soul. Rynhaedr is surprisingly pleasant and engenders a lot of comments from Vatnir and Ydwin, if present. She will direct your searches to the three areas that persist in the White Void, each tied to major events across Eora's history: Ancient Huana, post-Ascension Engwith, and the Saint's War.
- Completing the quest hinges on completing the related quests: The Drowned Kingdom, the Endless Queries, and the Bridge Ablaze, each tied to a specific moment in Eora's history. The souls sustaining these decaying domains can provide magical aid to protect the Watcher as you descend deeper into Ryrmgand's domain. Alternatively, destroying them to please Rymrgand is another choice.
- After dealing with each of the three realms, you can jump into the void in the center, close to the heart of the god's domain. You appear in Neriscyrlas' Lair, built around an ancient Engwithan phylactery that keeps her alive (or deathless). Any souls that pledged themselves to aid you will appear and provide unique bonuses but only if you lure the beast close enough to them:
- Navixa will immobilize the dragon using chains.
- The King will call a powerful wave that will daze the dragon.
- Waidwen will call a firestorm onto the dragon.
- When you approach the center, Neriscyrlas will engage you in conversation. She will reveal a great many facts, including the fact that she's anchored to a relic that allows her to defy the Beast of Winter and that she knows the gods' real nature. You can talk her down with Insight 13 and Arcana 13 and suggest that you take her phylactery out with you if she joins forces and helps you destroy Eothas. If you are a wizard, after passing the previous checks you can ask Neriscyrlas to teach you how to make your own phylactery with Diplomacy 13 and saying you will use it for knowledge or to serve her. Otherwise, you will have to fight her. Once defeated, the game transitions into a scripted interaction, where you need to tear out her phylactery. With Athletics 15, you can have a character rip it out without taking damage.
- Alternatively, if you pass the Insight (13) check suggesting that Neriscyrlas has let the void influence her (Nothing matters?) and a Metaphysics (15) check remarking that if kith created gods, it stands to reason that they can also be destroyed, you can convince Neriscyrlas to leave her lair, taking the phylactery with her to confront the Beast. This can also be accomplished with a high Bluff (?) check. Note: it may also be necessary to choose the two Insight checks following the first one, but who would skip out on getting under an undead dragon's skin?
- Regardless of whether you convinced Neriscyrlas to redirect her ire, or laid the ancient creature to rest, the floor promptly falls out from under your feet and you're dumped in the heart of the White Void. Make your way to the northwest. Ydwin will act uncharacteristically nervous, while Vatnir will be quite impressed. Move forward and meet a partially-ruined spirit that will ask for release or at least ability to tag along to meet the Beast of Winter.
- Make your way further through the glacier, killing the scourges and dealing with the souls. Watch out for the winds, they don't cause injuries, but do deal damage and add afflictions. You will find the Beast of Winter in the northwestern corner. Rymrgand will take the phylactery from you and destroy Neriscyrlas. Then he will renege on the agreement and declare that he will let you free if you pledge your soul to him, so that it returns not to the Wheel, but the White Void. You can accept this trade, consigning your soul to permadeath, trade him Ydwin, the renegade Glamfellen (much to the utter horror of the rest of your party), or refuse to do so - and fight the Beast of Winter. It is a difficult fight, more so due to the fact that you are immediately attacked by shambling souls as well. If you defeat the Beast, Rymrgand will be amused and allow you to leave the Void intact and with no other obligations.
- You can safely ask the god why he is a jerk. His answer? It's in his nature. Perfect.
- Although the quest resolves at this point, the final ending takes place at Harbinger's Watch, where you meet Hafbjorn. Your choices here determine whether Vatnir remains in your party or not and the ending for the Watch, as you can convince the people of Harbinger's Watch to resettle at the White. You can also reenter the The Shattered Passage after killing Neriscyrlas and tell Rynhaedr that the dragon is dead. She will be pleased and finally give in to oblivion. Sadly, she leaves no loot behind.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||Death's Depthless Dominion|
|10000||I've entered the bitterly cold realm of Rymrgand. Only by hunting down the dragon Neriscyrlas can I hope to close the Vytmádh.|
|1||Locate the dragon.|
|10001||I've arrived in the Beyond but have yet to find the dragon Neriscyrlas. I must press deeper into Rymrgand's frigid domain if I'm to locate her.|
|20004||If I'm to face Neriscyrlas, I must search the Shattered Passage for some way to pursue the dragon.|
|2||Search the echo realms and appeal to the souls sustaining them.|
|10002||Neriscyrlas took refuge in her lair, deep within the White Void. The guardian Rynhaedr warned me against descending deeper into Rymrgand's realm without the aid of those who call it home.
I could search these decaying domains for magical aid and perhaps enlist the aid of the souls who keep them afloat above the pale abyss.
Alternatively, I could destroy the souls, consigning their essence to Rymrgand in a bid to secure the god's elusive gratitude.
|20000||I located King Wingauro o Watūri I in the Drowned Kingdom and forced him to face the consequences of his actions.|
|20002||I released the shackled spirit of Inquisitor Naxiva from her endless interrogation.|
|20003||I freed St. Waidwen from the cycle of destruction at Godhammer Bridge.|
|3||Enter the dragon's lair.|
|10003||There's little more I can do in Rymrgand's realm to prepare for my confrontation with Neriscyrlas.
If I'm to pursue her, I must descend into the pit she opened in the Shattered Passage.
|4||Escape the White Void.|
|10004||After I confronted her, Neriscyrlas' lair crumbled, dumping me into the bleak tundra of the White Void.
Rymrgand and Rynhaedr both warned me that there is no returning from these depths. If I'm to prove them wrong and return to Eora, I'll need to scour the realm for a way out.
|12||Collect the Soul Fragments.|
|10012||I witnessed a spirit attack Neriscyrlas - only for the dragon to tear it apart. If I can locate the pieces of the spirit, perhaps I can reassemble it and learn more about the dragon.|
|20005||I found a piece of the guardian's fragmented soul. If I locate the others, perhaps they can tell me more about Neriscyrlas.|
|10013||I've descended into Neriscyrlas' Lair.
Now I've no choice but to face the dragon that has blighted Rymrgand's Realm.
|-||20001||[Description of meeting with Vailian lost soul.]|
|30000||Rymrgand agreed to release me from the Beyond - all I had to promise him was my soul. When I die, my soul will be destroyed in the White Void, never to be incarnated again.|
|30001||Rymrgand accepted my pledge to act as his champion in Eora and returned me to the world of the living.|
|30002||I convinced Rymrgand to return me to the world of the living as a reward for destroying the souls of King Wingauro o Watūri I, Inquisitor Naxiva ix Kirent, and St. Waidwen.|
|30003||I convinced Rymrgand to return me to the world of the living, reminding him of my past service in his name.|
|30004||I stood up against Rymrgand and bested his champion in combat. He unceremoniously dumped me back into the world of the living.|
|30005||I sacrificed Ydwin to Rymrgand in exchange for my own release from the Beyond.|