|Outcomes & Rewards|
Sell the parts
Sell the parts, convince Nans for better price
Repair the scepter
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Imatl is the sole survivor of a ship that tried smuggling Engwithan relics into Defiance Bay. After Animats summoned from the relics slaughtered the crew, he managed to steer it into the bay where it hit ground. He now hopes to recover a specific artifact in exchange for an honest wage.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
If you step on the docks just south/south-west of the Vailian Trading Company in Ondra's Gift, you'll see Imatl looking for help. He is an old deckhand who was part of a riverboat crew carrying several crates of cargo, including a few boxes of Engwithan artifacts. Several suits of armor from the Cliaban Rilag attacked the crew, causing the ship to run aground. Now Imatl's looking for someone to retrieve three missing pieces of a broken Engwithan scepter. He knows an animancer who would be willing to buy the artifact if all the parts are found.
Accept the task and search the bay during low tide and retrieve all three pieces. You will have to fight through Animats and Rain Blights, which are resistant to piercing, so crushing weapons and spells are advisable. The scepter pieces are in the following locations:
|Engwithan Scepter Shaft||Engwithan Scepter Base||Engwithan Scepter Spike|
|Directly south of Imatl by a destroyed building foundation||East of the scepter shaft, and southwest of the Salty Mast||Southeast of the scepter base, by the sunken ship|
Return to Imatl, where you have the options to:
- Pay him 200 for the final piece of the scepter. You can haggle this down to 100 regardless of your attributes.
- Intimidate him into giving you the final piece with 14 Might, or steal it with 14 Dexterity. These will both result in Moderate Negative reputation with Defiance Bay.
- Selling the pieces to her. She'll give you 500 , but with Lore 4 or Perception 14 you can convince her to give you 700 .
- If you made the previous Lore or Perception check, you can also have her repair the scepter for 1,800 . With Resolve 13 she will lower the price to 1,500 . This will give you the Engwithan Scepter.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Once you attend the hearings during The Hermit of Hadret House, the Sanitarium becomes permanently unavailable, making this quest impossible to complete if not done before.
- If you spawn Nans after you started The Man Who Waits, but not finished it (e.g. talked to Gram, but not to Uscgrim), she will not talk to you until you complete the quest.
Role-playing tips[edit | edit source]
- If you haven't gotten the relic-buying animancer's name from Imatl, (i.e., you did not pay him for the final piece), and you go to the Sanitarium, you might want to hold off talking to Nans – the animancer who is interested in the scepter. Many of the animancers, including Nedyn just outside and those in the basement, offer a dialog option of asking if they buy relics. It's a one-time option, but it remains even after having asked Nans and completing the quest.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||I met Imatl, an old deckhand in Ondra's Gift. He was part of a riverboat crew carrying several crates of cargo, including a few boxes of Engwithan artifacts. Several suits of armor from Clîaban Rilag attacked the crew, causing the ship to run aground.Now, Imatl's looking for someone to retrieve three missing pieces of a broken Engwithan scepter. He knows an animancer who would be willing to buy the artifact if all of the parts are found.|
|5||Find the missing pieces of the Engwithan scepter in Ondra's Gift.|
|10005||Imatl told me that the other pieces of the artifact will probably have washed into the shallows around the docks. I might be able to figure out what this item is - and get a better price for it - if I find all of the missing pieces.|
|20000||I've found a piece of the broken relic. It looks like other parts are still missing.|
|20001||I've found two pieces of the broken relic. They seem to fit, but something else is still missing.|
|20002||I've found the third piece of the broken relic. Combined, these three fragments form a scepter.|
|15||Take the scepter pieces to Nans in the Brackenbury Sanitarium.|
|10015||Imatl's friend Nans is an animancer and an expert on Engwithan artifacts. She'll know how much these pieces are worth and, perhaps, if they could be reassembled.|
|20006||Nans offered to reassemble the scepter for 1800 pands.|
|20007||I was able to bargain down Nans' reassembly fee for the scepter to 1500 pands.|
|18||Return to Imatl with the scepter pieces.|
|10018||I've found three pieces of the scepter. Imatl will know what to do next.|
|19||Find the animancer who's been buying Engwithan artifacts from Imatl.|
|10019||I can take the four pieces of the scepter to Imatl's animancer contact, but I'll have to find this person on my own now.Imatl won't offer any more help after the way I dealt with him.|
|20008||Nans offered to reassemble the scepter for 1800 pands.|
|20009||I was able to bargain down Nans' reassembly fee for the scepter to 1500 pands.|
|30000||✓||I paid Nans to repair the scepter. The process was expensive, but the restored scepter is a powerful weapon.|
|30004||✓||I sold the scepter pieces to Nans. She didn't offer quite as much as I'd hoped, but I suppose her price was reasonable enough for a broken artifact.|
|30005||✓||I sold the scepter pieces to Nans, and she threw in some extra coin since we both recognized the fine condition of the fragments.|
|30006||✗||I killed Nans and won't be able to sell or repair the artifact.|
|30008||✗||I killed Imatl and now I'll never know what do with the scepter pieces.|