Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
|You traipse through a dark, cold bog. The water around you grows deeper the further you walk. The silt and muck slide beneath your boots. The path forward looks more treacherous than the path behind you, but you've already come this far.|
|The bog is still and silent. It smells of rank decay, its stagnant waters host to many decades' accumulation of dead plants and animals.
A thick mist rolls across the water.
- In order to get to Outcast's Respite you'll forced to go through the thick swamp.
- Continue to trudge through the swamp. A quite-difficult Survival 19 check will determine how you navigate the bog. Failing, one of your party accidentally steps onto a patch of unstable ground and sinks deep into the water.
- Save your companion with Athletics 18. If you fail, they manage to make it out but will get Fatigue (-5 Accuracy, -10 All Defenses, -15% Max Health). If you succeed, you help them from the water without issue.
- Otherwise, you can leave them to their fate, an Athletics 7 check will determine if they can get themselves out. If this check fails, the thrashing in the water ceases and they drown.
- If you led via the Survival check, the Athletics 7 check to save yourself is automatic - though if you fail, the companion with the highest Athletics attempts to save you. Regardless of if they succeed or not, you manage to make it out of the water, but will get Fatigue.
- Press on, when several hooded kith emerge from the fog accompanied by a herd of bog lurkers. An aumaua man leading the group draws his sword and points it at you. "If you value your life, you will leave and never return."
- If you are a nature godlike, the kith will be apologetic about threatening one touched by Galawain, and will give you the Ring of Greater Regeneration, and you may pass without battle
- Question his authority. He says that he is the guardian of the swamp, and won't allow foreigners to profane it with their presence. A Watcher-only Diplomacy 17 check convinces the man that you are simply passing through the area, he will allow you to pass, visibly annoyed.
- Failing the above check, or using the clever dialogue option will prevent any chance of diplomacy, leaving you with the option of attacking. This will place you in the Swamp staging area, versus a group of Bog kith, and two Bog lurkers. Killing them will get you their equipment (some superb quality gear), and a Ring of Greater Regeneration
- Note that if you leave, you'll have to repeat the interaction the next time you enter. If you have already come across the group, they don't take kindly to your returned presence and will attack on sight.
- Scripted interaction graphics