|Outcomes & Rewards|
Finish the quest
Blood Legacy is a side quest in Pillars of Eternity.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Lady Aelys Harond has disappeared in the quiet town of Dyrford. Lord Harond is sick with worry for her and fears that the townsfolk are intentionally keeping something from him. The Watcher can investigate the matter and discover efforts underway to engineer the fall of the House of Harond - not without reason.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Optionally, you can ask around for information about Aelys from the villagers:
- Innkeeper Dengler requires an honest reputation, sufficient Resolve, or a bribe to spill information; you can learn more from Hendyna with Survival 4 (or after completing Nest Egg) to find out that Aelys is pregnant. In either case, you are directed to Trygil's shop for more information.
- Trygil will tell you that Aelys was captured by an ogre in Dyrford Crossing, which is the same ogre you will meet during A Farmer's Plight. The ogre, Korgrak, he will tell you that he has never seen Aelys. Deal with the ogre however you wish. The ogre can be recruited if you lend a sympathetic ear.
- If you return to Trygil and confront him about his lie, he and his friend Sabhan will attack you.
In any case, you will need to find an entrance to the temple of Skaen under Dyrford. There are two options:
- Go through the entrance in Trygil's Curriery. The door has a level 7 lock, but the key can be found in a hidden stash inside a vat of dye. If Trygil was not already killed, he will attack as soon as you open the door.
- Go through the hidden entrance in the center of Dyrford Crossing. The entrance is a statue base, which will begin a Scripted interaction when you click on it. The statue can be moved with Might 19, unlocked with Mechanics 8, or pried away with a Hammer and Chisel as well as a Prybar. A key can also be found on a cultist's corpse on a ledge in Dyrford Crossing. The entrance to the ledge is in the ogre cave. This entrance gets you much closer to the Blood Pool room with a lot less combat.
Fight your way through the Skaen cultists. The ruins have many narrow passages, so you may want to take advantage of them as bottlenecks. There are also many high-level traps, so keep a lookout in rooms with patterned brick floors. To get to the end, you must first find the Blood Pool at the east side of the dungeon (cruel characters may want to stay away from the pool and read about Effigy's Resentment first). Each door leading to the Blood Pool has a level 9 lock, and can also be opened with a key found elsewhere in the dungeon. From the Blood Pool, head northwest, and eventually you will be lead to the boss' chamber. (Warning: Opening this door pulls the entire party into the room, making the fight extra difficult if you choose to fight.)
Confront the leader, Wymund. He will inform you that he has performed a ritual that will eventually result in Aelys killing the entire Harond family. If you go along with the scheme, the enemies become friendly, and Aelys moves back to Dyrford Village. If you object to the plan, you will have to kill Aelys, as well as kill Wymund and his cultists. If you are a Cipher, a Priest of Skaen, or have Grieving Mother in your party, you also get the option to reverse the ritual and erase her memories, causing her to retreat to the northwest corner of the room during the ensuing fight.
After the encounter, speak with Aelys if she is still alive, and advise her on where she should go. Return to Lord Harond in Dyrford, and the quest will end.
Reward[edit | edit source]
There are a few factors determining what reward you get, and what reputations are affected.
- If Aelys Harond is corrupted, and you lie about her condition (be deceptive), Lord Harond will give you 1,200, the Amulet of Summer Solstice and Moderate positive reputation with Dyrford Village. You may choose a diplomatic request, for an additional 250 and Major Positive reputation with Dyrford Village, or an aggressive request, for 250 more and Extraordinary reputation with Dyrford Village.
- If Aelys Harond is corrupted, and you tell the truth about the ritual (be honest), Lord Harond will give you nothing, but you will get Major Positive reputation with Dyrford Village to see them go. With 14 Might or Resolve, you may threaten Harond, who will then give you 750. This changes the reputation gain to Extraordinary positive with Dyrford Village, but also Moderate Negative with Defiance Bay.
- If Aelys Harond is dead or freed, Lord Harond will be found on the second floor of the inn. When you report that she isn't coming back, Harond will give you 1,200 to put the matter behind you, which will result in Major positive Reputation with Dyrford Village. With 14 Might or Resolve, you can threaten him to increase the reward by 250, which changes the reputation to Extraordinary positive with Dyrford Village and Moderate Negative with Defiance Bay. You may also assassinate Harond at this point, which gives you 1200 and all the loot on his corpse, which has 250, an additional random amount of currency, and two Amulets of Summer Solstice. Killing him gives Extraordinary positive reputation with Dyrford Village, and Major negative reputation with Defiance Bay.
- If Aelys Harond is corrupted (you sided with Wymund) you have new hireling in Caed Nua available Avenger of Skaen (-2Prestige +3Security)
- Skaen cultists will become friendly if you sided with Wymund.
- You can kill Wymund after siding with him without any plot consequence. Skaen cultists outside of his chamber will still be friendly.
While not – strictly speaking – a quest reward, the ancient blood pool in the Dyrford Ruins can be used to sacrifice one of your companions to Skaen in exchange for gaining the Effigy's Resentment talent. The exact bonus given by this talent varies according to the sacrificed companion, but always consists of a permanent bonus to one of your primary attributes plus a bonus to secondary stats or skills.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to open the door behind Trygil without going into combat from the other side of the door, i.e. if you entered the temple from Dyrford Crossing. To do so position your party next to the ladder leading down into the temple, have one party member open the door, and then quickly click the ladder to level transition back to the temple. When you go back up again Trygil will still be friendly. (Although there is no usefulness to this trick other than for role-play.)
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||Lady Aelys Harond has disappeared in the quiet town of Dyrford. Lord Harond is sick with worry for her and fears that the townsfolk are intentionally keeping something from him.|
|1||Speak with Lord Harond at the Dracogen Inn|
|10017||A guard on the bridge to Dyrford told me that Lord Harond's daughter is missing. He and the rest of House Harond's retainers have been combing the village for her, but to no avail. Lord Harond is waiting at the inn. He would know more about the disappearance.|
|2||Search Dyrford for information about Aelys' dissappearance.|
|10002||Lord Harond has not seen Lady Aelys in days now, and it seems the villagers of Dyrford have not been much help. Still, I may be able to learn something useful by asking around.|
|20000||Dengler explained that Aelys had become acquainted with Trygil, the local currier. His shop is the one in the broken tower.|
|20011||Hendyna told me she saw Aelys talking with Trygil. His shop is in the broken tower near her cart.|
|20001||Trygil claims that an ogre took Aelys somewhere near the Bael River, east of Dyrford.|
|20008||'Trygil claims that an ogre took Aelys somewhere near the Bael River, east of Dyrford. While I had a hard time believing she snuck away with him, there may still be some clues in the wilderness.|
|20009||Hendyna mentioned that Aelys was pregnant.|
|20002||I found the ogre, but there was no trace of Aelys in the cave.|
|20003||Korgrak the ogre denied that he'd eaten Aelys. I don't suppose he has anything to hide, but perhaps Trygil does.|
|20004||While exploring a cave just east of the Bael River, I found a corpse carrying a note and a skull-handled key. The note mentioned a secret temple of some sort with an entrance near the river and another in a tower behind a shop. The note was stained with splotches of some kind of pigment and signed "T."|
|20005||Trygil attacked me when he realized I'd learned too much. Of course, I still don't know exactly what he was hiding...|
|20006||I found a ruin of some kind underneath Dyrford. It's not clear what it used to be, but symbols of Skaen have been painted on the walls and carved into the tunnels.|
|20007||It seems that an animancer devoted to Skaen has kidnapped Aelys for some kind of ritual. He must be somewhere in these ruins.|
|3||Return to Lord Harond at the Dracogenn Inn.|
|10012||Wymund, an animancer and devotee of Skaen, told me some surprising details about Aelys... and her pregnancy by her uncle, Lord Harond. Now that I've dealt with Wymund, it's time to deal with Harond.|
|20010||Wymund urged me to act natural. As long as I say nothing about Aelys' condition when I return to Harond, the Skaenites' plan will succeed.|
|30000||Lord Harond was horrified at Aelys' death and even more horrified that I knew his secret.|
|30002||I sent Aelys back to Lord Harond, knowing that she'll murder him once her tainted mind completes its metamorphosis.|
|30003||Wiping Aelys' mind of the Skaenite influence also wiped her memories of Lord Harond and what he'd done to her. I sent her to start a new life far from her uncle.|
|30004||Aelys returned to Lord Harond, but I explained that the Skaenites had tainted her mind. Harond will have her committed to the Brackenbury Sanitarium, where I can only hope she'll be better off.|
|30006||I killed Lord Harond and left his body on the upper floor of that stinking inn. It was no less than he deserved.|