Deadfire - Northeast
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Complete the quest
A Cordial Invitation
- Note: Consider handing this quest in after finishing The Forgotten Sanctum. The events of the DLC involve characters in this quest and thus will provide more insight and context during the end of the quest.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The Circle of Archmagi believes that Eothas could do unprecedented harm to the Deadfire. Research notes from the wizard Bekarna could prove useful in mitigating the damage.
Arkemyr dispatched the Watcher to her observatory, but the Circle is not the only group with an interest in Bekarna's findings. Bekarna hid something important within the orrery at the top of her research station. The device has a mechanism for entering the coordinates of stars in the night sky.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- This quest is started upon completion of A Cordial Invitation. After being invited to his manor, Arkemyr wants you to obtain Bekarna's research as a token of good faith.
- Travel to Bekarna's Observatory northeast of Neketaka.
- The first level is a library with some mercenaries in it. After they're dead, search the walls for three parts of a Huana legend: The Huntress, The Leviathan and The Kingfisher. Read them and go up a level. The fourth part The Panther, is located behind Concelhaut on the roof.
- On the northern platform you'll find the undead wizard Concelhaut. Afer some reminiscences, you'll probably come to blows. This is a challenging fight, and the first thing to do is to pull the enemy away from his platform with the two deadly symbols on it. Dispatch Concelhaut's lackeys first, then turn on him. He'll cast a long-duration spell reflection on himself, so be careful that your wizards don't kill themselves with their own spells. After he's destroyed, you get to keep his Iron-Clasped Grimoire, and Concelhaut's Skull as a pet.
- Wait until nightfall and look through the telescope at the four constellations mentioned in the legend. Now you can unlock the orrery with the control panel at its base. Click on the lower part of the opened, glowing orb to obtain Bekarna's Research and the unique wand A Whale of a Wand.
- Return to Arkemyr, who waits at the scrying pool in his manor's basement. You now have the honor of an audience with the Circle of Archmagi: Kalakoth, Maura, Minoletta, Llengrath (well, one of them), Ninagauth, Ryngrim, Tayn and of course, Arkemyr. Unless you can pass an Insight +8 check, you'll get nothing more than barely veiled contempt, some money, and the grimoire Arkemyr's Illuminating Discoveries for your troubles as the quest concludes.
- Should you feel like massacring Arkemyr after that, you can do so with no reputation loss for his Grimoire and fairly average loot. The fight with him and his constructs is on the whole less challenging than the one against Concelhaut.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is recommended to bring Aloth as he has special dialogue including, "I could spend days studying this. I don't suppose that's the plan?" on approaching the Orrery and "If I don't survive all this, please promise to burn all my books" upon reading Bekarna's note to herself.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||The Circle of Archmagi believes that Eothas could do unprecedented harm to the Deadfire. Research notes from the wizard Bekarna could prove useful in mitigating the damage.
Arkemyr dispatched me to her observatory, but the Circle is not the only group with an interest in Bekarna's findings.
|1||Travel to Bekarna's observatory.|
|10001||The research station is located on a small island due northeast of Neketaka.|
|2||Search the observatory for Bekarna's research.|
|10002||Bekarna may have left something useful behind before she abandoned her observatory.|
|20000||The observatory is crawling with mercenaries. Arkemyr was right about someone else seeking Bekarna's findings.|
|20009||A massive orrery commands the top of the research station. It might warrant a closer look.|
|3||Unlock Bekarna's orrery.|
|10003||Bekarna hid something important within the orrery at the top of her research station. The device has a mechanism for entering the coordinates of stars in the night sky.
The plaque on the orrery controls mentioned something about a Huntress and the three stages of her tale - perhaps all four parts of the story can be found somewhere in the observatory.
|20001||I can locate the Huntress in the night sky by searching for her bandoleer of stars using the telescope by the orrery.|
|20002||I've learned the coordinates of the Huntress constellation.|
|20003||The constellation of the Kingfisher is situated between a pair of especially bright stars. I'll need to use the telescope by the orrery to locate it.|
|20004||I've learned the coordinates of the Kingfisher constellation.|
|20005||The constellation of the Panther is situated near a string of stars which curve like a bow. The telescope near the orrery will be useful in locating it.|
|20006||I've learned the coordinates of the Panther constellation.|
|20007||The Leviathan constellation can be found above a cluster of stars resembling a canoe. The telescope near the orrery will be needed to find it.|
|20008||I've learned the coordinates of the Leviathan constellation.|
|20012||It's impossible to use the telescope during the day. I'll have to wait until nightfall to do any stargazing.|
|4||Return to Arkemyr.|
|10004||Now that I have Bekarna's notes, Arkemyr and the Circle of Archmagi will want to study her work. I can find Arkemyr at his manor in Periki's Overlook.|
|20011||One of Arkemyr's imps informed me that Arkemyr can be found at the scrying pool in the laboratory level of his manor.|
|6||Activate the orrery.|
|10006||I located the coordinates of all four celestial bodies which Bekarna referenced in her instructions.
I should be able to activate the orrery and reveal whatever she was hiding.
|7||Retrieve Bekarna's notes.|
|10007||After activating the orrery in Bekarna's observatory, the model of one of Eora's moons opened to reveal a hidden cache. Whatever Bekarna hid must be inside.|
|30000||I returned to Arkemyr and presented him with Bekarna's research. Hopefully this proves useful to him and the Circle.|