At the Mercy of the Tribes
|At the Mercy of the Tribes|
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Cwineth, a Dyrwoodan scout, has come to Twin Elms to find help for her friends, who are on an expedition to recover lost artifacts. Though the group hasn't been directly confronted by the Glanfathans yet, Cwineth was on patrol and discovered that local sentries have already caught scent of her expedition. Cwineth asks the Watcher to warn her mercenary companions about the impending danger while she attempts to thwart the scouting efforts of the pursing Glanfathans.
- Find Cwineth in Hearthsong at the Celestial Sapling Inn (bottom right corner of the map). She wants you to warn the rest of her treasure hunters that the Fangs are coming for them. You must tell her you'll help, otherwise her companions will never appear in Northweald.
- Travel to Northweald. Inspect Pilgrims' Camp on the bottom left of the map.
- Then follow the trail along the bottom of the map. Midway, you'll meet Cwineth. She will ask you to help the rest of her expedition, as the attempts at diversion had little effect on the Fangs, who managed to corner the expedition on a small, isolated mesa.
- Continue following the trail to the right, eventually turning upwards where Glanfathan hunters have the mercenaries cornered. Speak with Fangs Bright Blood.
- Do as the Fangs ask, and kill the mercenaries and bring the captain's head. Return to the Fangs to complete the quest. You will be rewarded with your choice of money (9000 ), a Talent (Wild Running), or a Weapon (Prey Maker). Loot from the mercs: around 6000 including an exceptional rod and an exceptional great sword. When the quest is completed in this manner Cwineth will be gone and can not be killed or looted.
- Alternatively, do as Cwineth asks, and save the hunting expedition, by any of the following methods:
- Kill the Fangs hunters (loot: around 5000 , including Prey Maker).
- Kill the beasts blocking the north exit, allowing the mercenaries to escape. If you then return to the Fangs, they will attack you on sight. (Note: You won't get attacked by the fangs if you haven't talked to the mercenaries after killing the Stelgaer). Return to Cwineth to end the quest.
- It is possible to reach this location without first encountering any of the above parties, by travelling up the west side of the area.
- Convince Fangs Bright Blood to accept imprisoning Esmar, the expedition's leader. This requires Twin Elms Reputation 3, or Resolve 17. When you talk to Esmar, the mercenaries' leader, select the option "I've persuaded the Fangs to let you go, but...". If you have completed your stronghold's Dungeons, you have the option of sending him there instead of to the Fangs.
- If you did not kill the mercenaries, return to Cwineth, on the south edge of the area, to complete the quest. You will be rewarded with your choice of money (9000 ), a Talent (Dungeon Delver), or a Weapon (Long-Feller). There is no change in Reputation.
- Some players have reported that if you do not kill the mercenaries, the journal may not update. If you do not return to Cwineth, the quest will not complete.
- If you first kill the Fangs and then the mercenaries, too (e.g. to maximize loot), you cannot end the quest anymore.
- If you kill Cwineth in Northweald before you talk to either group, the quest will fail, but you can still do as the Fangs want and receive their reward, just no xp.
|0||At the Mercy of the Tribes|
|10000||Cwineth, a Dyrwoodan scout, has come to Twin Elms to find help for her friends, who are on an expedition to recover lost artifacts. Though the group hasn't been directly confronted by the Glanfathans yet, Cwineth was on patrol and discovered that local sentries have already caught scent of her expedition. Cwineth asked me to warn her mercenary companions about the impending danger while she attempts to thwart the scouting efforts of the pursing Glanfathans.|
|1||Intercept Cwineth's Dyrwoodan expedition in the Northweald wilderness.|
|10001||Cwineth, a Dyrwoodan scout I met at the Celestial Sapling in Twin Elms, asked me to warn her expedition of an impending Glanfathan ambush. I'm to find the expedition at the Northweald, by the side of the path leading to Hylea's Temple.|
|2||Find the Dyrwoodan expedition by the pilgrims' camp in the Northweald wilderness.|
|10002||I've arrived to the Northweald Wilderness, where Cwineth's expedition should be making camp beside the pilgrim's trail leading to Hylea's Temple. I am to warn them that Glanfathan scouts are on their trail.|
|3||Track the Dyrwoodan expedition to the eastern edge of the Northweald wilderness.|
|10003||I've found the ruins where Cwineth's expedition camped. There are signs of battle everywhere. Tracks on the ground run directly east, probably made by the expedition while retreating from the battle.|
|4||Resolve the stalemate between the Dyrwoodan expedition and the Fangs.|
|10004||I've found the expedition in the eastern Northweald. They are entrenched by the remains of an old Engwithan tower, above the woods' narrow gorge.
A score of Glanfathan Fangs have surrounded the Dyrwoodans, waiting for the right time to strike their prey down.
|20000||I've met the expedition's captain, Esmar, who has sought refuge from the Glanfathans within the cover of old ruins. With the Fangs to the south and a pride of stelgaers to the north, the Dyrwoodans are trapped. Removing any of those obstacles would open a way for the expedition's escape.|
|20001||I've met an elven woman, a huntress with the Fangs, leader of the Glanfathans who tracked Cwineth's expedition. She wants me to deal with the Dyrwoodans to prove that I'm a friend of Eir Glanfath and not another looter from Dyrwood.|
|20002||I've convinced the Fangs to let the expedition go, but not without severe terms. Esmar, leader of the Dyrwoodan mercenaries, must pay with his life or his freedom to earn his companions safe passage out of Glanfathan lands.|
|5||Return to Cwineth in the Northweald.|
|10005||I've aided the Dyrwoodan expedition - they are safe from immediate harm. Cwineth waits on the southern edge of the Northweald to know of their fate.|
|20004||With the path cleared, I can let Esmar know that it's safe for his men to escape the forest.|
|6||Return to the Fangs in the Northweald.|
|10006||I've aided the Fangs. Esmar, leader of the expedition of Dyrwoodan mercenaries is no more. The Fangs await word of my success south of where I dealt with the mercenaries in the Northweald.|
|7||Report to Esmar in the Northweald.|
|10007||I've aided the Dyrwoodan expedition - they are safe from immediate harm. Esmar waits by the eastern ruins of the Northweald to know it's safe for his men to escape the forest.|
|30000||I returned to Cwineth with news of her company's fate. She was relieved to hear about their escape.|
|30001||I returned to the Fang's leader with news of the Dyrwoodan company's fate. Something tells me she would rather have dealt with the mercenaries herself, but my service earned me her favor nonetheless.|
|30002||Someone critically important to this quest has died.|
|Saved Expedition Cwineth Dead|
|30003||I returned to Esmar to let him know that a way out of the Northweald was now open to him and his men.|
|Saved Expedition Esmar Prisoner|
|30004||I returned to Cwineth with news of her company's fate. Though Esmar is to be held prisoner, his sacrifice means the rest of the expedition is free to return home.|